Highway code rule H2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
H2 refers both to pedestrians crossing at pedestrian crossings and to pedestrians crossing side roads. The HC clearly shows a picture of a side road in Rule 170.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-hig...ll around before emerging,you to do so safely.

My wife had a scare today with a driver cornering fast as she was about to step out with a baby in a push chair . A passing cyclist was clearly shocked at the appalingly dangerous driving. My wife followed and photographed the car and driver then called 101 to report.
The woman on the police non emergency line seemed convinced that Rule H2 referred only to marked pedestrian crossings, not to side roads.

This is the issue. People don't know.
I passed my test 35 years ago.
Nobody gets in touch to let me know of any rule changes.

Whilst you know what should happen - I bet most people don't - so please act accordingly. Don't step out unless you are sure it's safe. No point in being dead but technically in the right.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This is the issue. People don't know.
I passed my test 35 years ago.
Nobody gets in touch to let me know of any rule changes.
Your driving licence requires you to meet the national standard for driving, part of which is keeping up to date with changes to the law and code. I am always surprised so many drivers are willing to post evidence online that they are not driving correctly.

The woman on 101 was wrong. Maybe go along to a local police public meeting and express concern about it. Or you could make a formal complaint but you got it secondhand so you'd be on shaky ground.

H2 refers both to pedestrians crossing at pedestrian crossings and to pedestrians crossing side roads. The HC clearly shows a picture of a side road in Rule 170.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203#:~:text=Rule 170&text=look all around before emerging,you to do so safely.

My wife had a scare today with a driver cornering fast as she was about to step out with a baby in a push chair . A passing cyclist was clearly shocked at the appalingly dangerous driving. My wife followed and photographed the car and driver then called 101 to report.
The woman on the police non emergency line seemed convinced that Rule H2 referred only to marked pedestrian crossings, not to side roads.

Not a surprise - but the rules is clear and applies to all road that the driver is turning into

BUT

for an unmarked crossing it only says you SHOULD give way - hence not an offence

winjim

Smash the cistern
Did she look properly and was the driver signalling? While it might be nice to think that drivers should give way in the manner you suggest, that's not how our road junctions are designed and it's not safe to assume that they will.

Unless and until we redesign our roads, footways and junctions, this guidance is trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

Do you wear a helmet and a Sam Browne belt?

Cerdic

My worry when turning into a side road, and stopping to let a pedestrian cross, is that some muppet behind will rear end me.

People just don’t expect a vehicle in front of them to indicate left, begin to turn into a side road, then stop dead leaving the back end of the car still on the main road.

I don’t know what the answer is other than to keep your wits about you and never assume other road users are going to be predictable…

classic33

Leg End Member
My worry when turning into a side road, and stopping to let a pedestrian cross, is that some muppet behind will rear end me.

People just don’t expect a vehicle in front of them to indicate left, begin to turn into a side road, then stop dead leaving the back end of the car still on the main road.

I don’t know what the answer is other than to keep your wits about you and never assume other road users are going to be predictable…
You'd not be leaving the back end of your car on the main road. You're supposed to stop before turning.

Cerdic

You'd not be leaving the back end of your car on the main road. You're supposed to stop before turning.

Ok. But stopping before turning is the same thing. The following car is expecting you to turn into a side road and instead you stop in front of them.

Doing anything unexpected on the road always has the potential to cause a collision. A lot of people just don’t concentrate enough…

classic33

Leg End Member
Ok. But stopping before turning is the same thing. The following car is expecting you to turn into a side road and instead you stop in front of them.

Doing anything unexpected on the road always has the potential to cause a collision. A lot of people just don’t concentrate enough…
Maybe it's time to include this in the actual driving test, and not the theory test.

What would happen if there was a large load coming the other way, preventing you turning left, into the side road?

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
As a driver I tap my brake lights a few times to alert the bozo behind.
On a bike I try not to stop in an exposed position. The driver behind might make a close overtake. The one behind him hasnt even seen you yet.

presta

Guru
While it might be nice to think that drivers should give way in the manner you suggest, that's not how our road junctions are designed and it's not safe to assume that they will.
The same applies to cycle paths that cross side roads.

Sharky

Guru
I am of an age when hand signals were included in the driving test. I still use them occasionally to reinforce that I am turning right. Very relevant as our house is just after a RH turn and just before a RH turn.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Surely it should be expected though? After all, it’s right there in the Highway Code, right?

Even before the new rules, a following driver SHOULD be leaving enough of a gap (2 seconds) from the car in front so that they have enough time to stop, no matter how suddenly the car in front stops. But drivers ignored it then, and are unlikely to change now. They only learn AFTER rear ending someone and then see their insurance premium increase, assuming it is them who actually pay it.

Top Bottom