New Highway Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is the new latest Highway Code available yet?
Only as draft. See https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/h...improvements-for-walking-and-cycling….277936/

I've seen somewhere that it's expected this October. So probably next May, based on the glacial pace of DfT, unless they want to bury other news before then.

Edit to add: the changes actually take effect 29 January 2022 and are summarised at https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-highway-code.278598/post-6646683

Last edited:
I received a link to an article from Confused.com about the new changes and expected it to have 'motorist-heavy' bias, but was surprised to find it was simply factual.

It did make me smile though when the author put inverted commas around high quality cycle lanes. We all hope for more than a splash of paint.
Well the site name isn't wrong, the author must be confused if he talks about ''high quality cycle lanes''

Found this - Rule 187

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

• pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads
  • traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit
  • traffic which may be straddling lanes or positioned incorrectly
  • motorcyclists
  • cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout. Allow them to do so
  • long vehicles (including those towing trailers). These might have to take a different course or straddle lanes either approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals.

I was not aware of a part that - it seems - suggest that cyclists can stay in the left lane of a roundbout even if they are turning right over all - and signal right at each exit to show they are carrying on round

Is this right??

and how many drivers will know about it!:eek:

I'm unsure when the UK highway code was last updated so forgive me if this is already known. Under a new section under rule 186, road users will now be forced to give priority to cyclists on roundabouts. I wonder whether this rule will be adhered to by motorists or cause so much confusion that cyclists will be at risk rather than be protected from the risk of motor vehicles hitting us.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I'm unsure when the UK highway code was last updated so forgive me if this is already known. Under a new section under rule 186, road users will now be forced to give priority to cyclists on roundabouts. I wonder whether this rule will be adhered to by motorists or cause so much confusion that cyclists will be at risk rather than be protected from the risk of motor vehicles hitting us.

Only if it is policed, which I doubt.

Thanks - doesn't mention the 'signalling right' bit though

I do wonder how many drivers will read the new version though
In my opinion the DVLA should send out a summary of the changes and a selection of things that need to be re-iterated when they send out the Road Tax reminder (yes yes yes - I know Vehicle something something)

classic33

Leg End Member
Found this - Rule 187

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

• pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads
  • traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit
  • traffic which may be straddling lanes or positioned incorrectly
  • motorcyclists
  • cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout. Allow them to do so
  • long vehicles (including those towing trailers). These might have to take a different course or straddle lanes either approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals.

I was not aware of a part that - it seems - suggest that cyclists can stay in the left lane of a roundbout even if they are turning right over all - and signal right at each exit to show they are carrying on round

Is this right??

and how many drivers will know about it!:eek:
I'll not chance it on the local roundabouts. I claim the lane(marked) instead.

vickster

Legendary Member
I doubt most motorists will have a clue about the change (many appear to have never had much of a clue. I reckon a large proportion of drivers who didn’t learn to drive in the U.K. have ever looked at or even heard of the HC :rolleyes:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Unless the left lane is specifically marked as the designated exit lane, drivers should be prepared for the possibility that a cyclist (or vehicle) who isn't signalling may well be carrying on round the roundabout.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's not a change: you have to give priority to traffic already on the roundabout ahead of you anyway, regardless of what that traffic is. It's just being stated more explicitly because driving standards have gone down the toilet.

The Daily Mirror got this completely wrong and I am thankful that I never had the misfortune to be cycling on a roundabout at the same time the authors and editors of its article on this were driving onto it!

Top Bottom