New Highway Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
That's not a change: you have to give priority to traffic already on the roundabout ahead of you anyway, regardless of what that traffic is. It's just being stated more explicitly because driving standards have gone down the toilet.

The Daily Mirror got this completely wrong and I am thankful that I never had the misfortune to be cycling on a roundabout at the same time the authors and editors of its article on this were driving onto it!

My impression this was "change" was to do with situations where both vehicles are already on the roundabout, rather than traffic joining it. Basically, the instruction could read "please do not simply run over a cyclist on your left, just because you wish to exist the roundabout" ;)

But, I would agree, it is not really a change, since, AFAIK the rule never was "you may plough into other vehicles sharing the roundabout with you". ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was not aware of a part that - it seems - suggest that cyclists can stay in the left lane of a roundbout even if they are turning right over all - and signal right at each exit to show they are carrying on round

Is this right??
It's right as in correct. It's not right as in a good idea IMO. It used to be that all slow vehicles could do this and the 1968 Highway Code included Rule 84 "When in a roundabout, look out for vehicles crossing in front of you to leave by the next exit."

The 1993 edition included in Rule 200 for cyclists only "Rules 123-128 set out the correct procedures at roundabouts but you may feel safer approaching in the left-hand lane and keeping to the left in the roundabout. If you do keep to the left, take extra care when cycling across exits and signal right to show you are not leaving. Watch out for vehicles crossing your path to leave or join the roundabout." Rule 126 warns motorists about the practice. I also note that rule 200 weasels that "you may feel safer" rather than you'll actually be any safer, which puts it firmly in the same evidence-free category as certain other cycling rules.

and how many drivers will know about it!:eek:
Any of them who did Cycling Proficiency at school before 1990 (when it was taught as how to cycle on roundabouts) really should, as should any drivers who took their test before 1999, even if you consider the current (2007-2022 edition) wording to be less than explicit.

Alex321

Veteran
My impression this was "change" was to do with situations where both vehicles are already on the roundabout, rather than traffic joining it. Basically, the instruction could read "please do not simply run over a cyclist on your left, just because you wish to exist the roundabout" ;)

But, I would agree, it is not really a change, since, AFAIK the rule never was "you may plough into other vehicles sharing the roundabout with you". ;)
The point of the wording is to make drivers aware that cyclists and horses may not be following the "usual" roundabout rules, so don't assume because they are in the LH lane they are taking the next exit, and so don't cut across expecting they will.

It is unlikely to make many of them any more aware than they would have been without it, but I suppose every little helps.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's right as in correct. It's not right as in a good idea IMO. It used to be that all slow vehicles could do this and the 1968 Highway Code included Rule 84 "When in a roundabout, look out for vehicles crossing in front of you to leave by the next exit."

The 1993 edition included in Rule 200 for cyclists only "Rules 123-128 set out the correct procedures at roundabouts but you may feel safer approaching in the left-hand lane and keeping to the left in the roundabout. If you do keep to the left, take extra care when cycling across exits and signal right to show you are not leaving. Watch out for vehicles crossing your path to leave or join the roundabout." Rule 126 warns motorists about the practice. I also note that rule 200 weasels that "you may feel safer" rather than you'll actually be any safer, which puts it firmly in the same evidence-free category as certain other cycling rules.

Any of them who did Cycling Proficiency at school before 1990 (when it was taught as how to cycle on roundabouts) really should, as should any drivers who took their test before 1999, even if you consider the current (2007-2022 edition) wording to be less than explicit.
But you don't like multi-lane roundabouts and would prefer to dismount and walk your bike round. Or has that changed in more recent years?

Alex321

Veteran
I'm unsure when the UK highway code was last updated so forgive me if this is already known. Under a new section under rule 186, road users will now be forced to give priority to cyclists on roundabouts. I wonder whether this rule will be adhered to by motorists or cause so much confusion that cyclists will be at risk rather than be protected from the risk of motor vehicles hitting us.
It is surprising how often it does get updated actually. There were some changes last year (which I think is what this thread started off about), but there are quite significant changes coming.

Assuming no MP has objected, the changes discussed in this thread come into force at the end of next week (29th January).

But you don't like multi-lane roundabouts and would prefer to dismount and walk your bike round. Or has that changed in more recent years?
Not always possible - some motorway type roundabouts don't have anywhere to walk. One near here has a cycle path round about half of it - which makes turning right rather a puzzle - especially as the path end with no provision to join the main carrigeway.
In some cases I feel that cycling is actually safer than walking - with or without a bike.

Your reply has struck a chord with me - it was the way I had been taught and am still the proud possessor of my cycling proficiency badge

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 14.21.08.jpeg
    Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 14.21.08.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm unsure when the UK highway code was last updated so forgive me if this is already known. Under a new section under rule 186, road users will now be forced to give priority to cyclists on roundabouts. I wonder whether this rule will be adhered to by motorists or cause so much confusion that cyclists will be at risk rather than be protected from the risk of motor vehicles hitting us.
I expect most cyclists (like most drivers) will be unaware of this change and shall continue to use roundabouts as they always have done.

Alex321

Veteran
I expect most cyclists (like most drivers) will be unaware of this change and shall continue to use roundabouts as they always have done.
I think most of us cyclists are well aware we are the squishy ones, so ride as if everybody else is out to squish us. And even though the new HC rules do afford us a bit more protection, that is only helpful if followed by others.

Still a good idea, anything that helps is a good idea, but probably won't make nearly as much difference to road use habits as the proponents of the change might have hoped.

presta

Guru
I doubt most motorists will have a clue about the change (many appear to have never had much of a clue. I reckon a large proportion of drivers who didn’t learn to drive in the U.K. have ever looked at or even heard of the HC :rolleyes:
I've had numerous twitter arguments in which I've listed about half a dozen rules that are being broken, but they still think that they're in the right. And the threads are usually full of motorists complaining that cyclists ignore the highway code.
some motorway type roundabouts don't have anywhere to walk
Try the Stansted Airport junction on the M11: half a mile in circumference, varies from 2 to 4 lanes wide, has multiple traffic lights, a bypass cutting through the central island, and no footpath or verge to walk on.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I had a motorist pull across me on a roundabout from right lane to turn left. I was in left lane, in my car, and had not indicated I was turning left, because I wasn’t. They can’t get it right when you are in car. Since when did turning left from the right lane become a thing?

Top Bottom