New priority rules may cause confusion says AA.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
New priority rules for motorists and cyclists coming into force on January 29 may cause confusion as most drivers are not aware of them.
A survey of 13500 drivers found a third knew about it.
https://trendswide.com/highway-code-rule-change-that-will-give-cyclists-priority-over-drivers/

And how many of you are aware?

Last edited:
New priority rules for motorists and cyclists coming into force on January 29 may cause confusion as most drivers are not aware of them.
https://trendswide.com/highway-code-rule-change-that-will-give-cyclists-priority-over-drivers/

View attachment 622535

Pedestrians have always had priority at junctions. The confusion tends to stem from people thinking the highway refers only to the road, when in reality it includes the footway too. Which raises the other confusion between footways and footpaths.

Alex321

Veteran
A survey of 13500 drivers found a third knew about it.

And how many of you are aware?

I was aware, but only because I had seen posts about it here.

The important parts from that article are both the AA and the RAC saying there should be an education/communication campaign before the changes come into force, to make sure as many as possible are aware of the changes.

Pedestrians have always had priority at junctions. The confusion tends to stem from people thinking the highway refers only to the road, when in reality it includes the footway too. Which raises the other confusion between footways and footpaths.

The change is that previously cars were only expected to give way if the pedestrian was already on the carriageway, after the changes they should also give way if the pedestrian is waiting at the kerbside.

The change is that previously cars were only expected to give way if the pedestrian was already on the carriageway, after the changes they should also give way if the pedestrian is waiting at the kerbside.

I know what you mean, but in reality it's the same, as the difference is really only apparent once the car has made the turn. Pedestrians horses and cyclists have always had priority on the road, but that's never really been applied.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wasn't aware. I mean, I'd seen some changes mentioned on here but nothing had penetrated my thick skull.

What the AA and RAC are saying seems actually to be quite reasonable (!). That communication of the changes is important. AA: " Getting the message out now would help avoid dangerous situations and remove any confusion on the roads before the new rules are adopted." RAC: ‘A concerted effort must now be made to communicate the changes to drivers because as we know, many do not read the Highway Code for long periods after passing their test.

As to what the changes actually are, the article is a bit confusing because it says motorists to give way to cyclists and pedestrians at junctions but the pictures don't show any scenario where a motorist yields to a cyclist. This means that, as well as glancing at the pictures, I had to read the words - which I felt was a bit of an imposition.

the Code will advise of scenarios where cyclists ‘may sometimes ride in the centre of the lane, rather than towards the side of the road’ and that ‘it can be safer for groups of cyclists to ride two abreast in these situations’.

So no change there, just a restatement/re-emphasis of the status quo.

under the revamped code, drivers and cyclists will have to give way if a pedestrian is waiting to cross a road they are turning into.

I didn't know that. But it's reasonable. Although expecting me to turn left off the S Circular at Catford without running people over is asking a bit much.

Cars indicating to turn left or right will also have to give way to cyclists coming from behind and going straight on, only turning once they have passed.

I'm not sure what this is about. Is it saying any more than "cyclists are normal traffic and you have to yield to them just as you would to other vehicles". Or is it saying something else as well. Like, don't left hook cyclists?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've been attempting to buy the new highway code book.
Not found any on sale yet!
W H Smith & Waterstones still selling the previous out of date ones.

Anyone found out where to get one?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm aware partly because my 17yo has sat his driving test recently and was interested in the changes.

However ... like @PeteXXX we couldn't get hold of a copy of the highway code. So, he sat and passed his theory test and then his driving test without ever looking at a copy of the highway code.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Indeed, I was always taught that as a driver you should always yield to pedestrian crossing the road you are turning into.

it seems to be a re-emphasis, and maybe encapsulating pedestrians "wanting" to cross the road you are turning into. It seems we need to encapsulate good manners and courtesy in a specific law/rule/code.

Indeed, I was always taught that as a driver you should always yield to pedestrian crossing the road you are turning into.

it seems to be a re-emphasis, and maybe encapsulating pedestrians "wanting" to cross the road you are turning into. It seems we need to encapsulate good manners and courtesy in a specific law/rule/code.

Yup, I've been bibbed a few times by vehicles behind me, for waiting patiently for people to cross as I'm turning.

PK99

Legendary Member
Current HWC:
2. Crossing the road (7 to 17)

7 D. If traffic is coming, let it pass. Look all around again and listen. Do not cross until there is a safe gap in the traffic and you are certain that there is plenty of time. Remember, even if traffic is a long way off, it may be approaching very quickly.

At a junction. When crossing the road, look out for traffic turning into the road, especially from behind you. If you have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, you have priority and they should give way (see Rule 170).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There won't be publicity or new editions on sale yet. It doesn't come in until 29 January and that's only if nothing causes a u-turn. The ministry of transport's advertising budget wouldn't stand a whelk's chance in a hurricane of making an impact amongst Christmas adverts. Better to wait until after 14 January.

The image in the opening post is incorrect about the old rules, too. How about a theory retest for everyone who posts or defends it?

Alex321

Veteran
Cars indicating to turn left or right will also have to give way to cyclists coming from behind and going straight on, only turning once they have passed.

I'm not sure what this is about. Is it saying any more than "cyclists are normal traffic and you have to yield to them just as you would to other vehicles". Or is it saying something else as well. Like, don't left hook cyclists?

I think it is indeed saying "Don't left hook cyclists".

I had one on Wednesday night night on the way home, where the car driver did what this change says they should do - a pleasant surprise. I was in one of those fairly narrow painted "cycle lanes", a car comes past me, indicating left, with a junction a few yards away. I expected him to just turn, and was on the brakes ready, but he didn't. He paused and waited for me to pass.

AIUUI, that is what the new rule is saying he should do.

Top Bottom