New priority rules may cause confusion says AA.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
What interpretation does "Do not overtake just before you turn left" (sic) require ?

I've never heard it interpreted as referring to anything other than another vehicle. The example photo shows a cyclist.
(Incidentally, why the 'sic' after that quote? There's nothing wrong with it.)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I've never heard it interpreted as referring to anything other than another vehicle. The example photo shows a cyclist.
(Incidentally, why the 'sic' after that quote? There's nothing wrong with it.)

"Sic" ["thus", in Latin] simply means "quoted verbatim" (from the HC, in this case).

It doesn't necessarily imply that there is anything wrong, although it's often used in such circumstances.

presta

Guru
I'd still not attempt to cross if a nearby vehicle was indicating a turn, not sure if semantics on the highway code would heal a broken leg or worse. I wouldn't trust that the driver knows the h/way code.
This is the problem with any right of way: if you're the only one who's going to get hurt, are you going to trust the nut holding the steering wheel to respect it. This is particulary relevant when you're on a cycle path, and confronted with the waste of effort caused by stopping to give way at every side road. The argument from the cycle path lobby is that they should be laid out so as to give cyclists priority, but if you're not willing to gamble your life on the motorists giving way you're no better off.

Cycle paths turn every junction into a game of chicken.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've been attempting to buy the new highway code book.
Not found any on sale yet!
W H Smith & Waterstones still selling the previous out of date ones.

Anyone found out where to get one?
Isn't the online edition kept up to date?

Do you really need the paper version?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd still not attempt to cross if a nearby vehicle was indicating a turn ...
no but, the same goes for a zebra crossing... if they don't look like they're going to stop, only a fool would start to cross.

Alex321

Veteran
If it has to go before parliament doesn't that mean it's incorporated in law?
Hmm. Sort of.

It is amended by Statutory Instrument, so called Secondary Legislation.

So yes, it is part of the legislation, but in this case, it is statutory guidance, rather than in itself being law which must be obeyed. It references laws which must be obeyed (whenever it says MUST or MUST NOT), and gives guidance on what is best practice outside of what the actual laws require.

In this amendment, none of the laws it references are changing, it is only the guidance that is changing.

matticus

Guru
This is the problem with any right of way: if you're the only one who's going to get hurt, are you going to trust the nut holding the steering wheel to respect it.
But isn't that the same if you're riding past a side-turning? You know you have right-of-way, but you still keep a wary eye on vehicles* who might forget the rules.

That doesn't make it a bad rule!

(Speaking for self, after my SMIDSY incident I am uber-cautious of moving vehicles approaching from the left; but I'm grateful the rules say they should stop, and I can report that is almost always the case. After all, without those rules, I doubt I'd have got the 4-figure compensation that followed my "incident".)

*Yes I know ...

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom