New priority rules may cause confusion says AA.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
This is the problem with any right of way: if you're the only one who's going to get hurt, are you going to trust the nut holding the steering wheel to respect it. This is particulary relevant when you're on a cycle path, and confronted with the waste of effort caused by stopping to give way at every side road. The argument from the cycle path lobby is that they should be laid out so as to give cyclists priority, but if you're not willing to gamble your life on the motorists giving way you're no better off.

Cycle paths turn every junction into a game of chicken.
I still have not worked out with the new rules who has priority at these junctions. Is it the cyclist going straight on, despite them having give way road markings or is it the turning driver? I have followed these new rules pretty well, so I have no idea how the average motorist is going to know.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There's a Highway Code? Who knew....

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I still have not worked out with the new rules who has priority at these junctions. Is it the cyclist going straight on, despite them having give way road markings or is it the turning driver? I have followed these new rules pretty well, so I have no idea how the average motorist is going to know.

To what image are you referring to?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
To what image are you referring to?
Something like this, should the Google car giveaway to a cyclist on the cycle path? The cycle path has give way signs, but the new rules seem to say that if a cyclist is going straight on then they have priority.

1640122862336.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Something like this, should the Google car giveaway to a cyclist on the cycle path? The cycle path has give way signs, but the new rules seem to say that if a cyclist is going straight on then they have priority.

View attachment 623132

Yes

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Yes, they do, and yes, a car turning into that road (or coming out of it) should wait for the cyclist.
The new Highway Code does not make it clear to me and certainly conflicts with the give way markings for the cyclists. I would not be trusting drivers to cede priority for many years until it has been proven that they almost all do.
This particular national route is very close to my house and I refuse to use it as I think it is incredibly dangerous having to look 270 degrees, whilst I think the idea behind the rule would make the junction significantly safer, the implementation of the new rules so far seems a bit crappy to say the least.

Alex321

Veteran
The new Highway Code does not make it clear to me and certainly conflicts with the give way markings for the cyclists.
It makes it completely clear to me.
"You should not cut across cyclists, horse riders or horse drawn vehicles going ahead when you are turning into or out of a junction or changing direction or lane, just as you would not turn across the path of another motor vehicle. This applies whether they are using a cycle lane, a cycle track, or riding ahead on the road and you should give way to them."

I'm honestly not sure what there is in that which isn't clear. I agree the road markings don't actually agree with this, but then the road markings have been there for years, the new rules aren't even in force yet.

I would not be trusting drivers to cede priority for many years until it has been proven that they almost all do.

Well no, I never trust drivers to comply with the Highway code now, never mind the new version.

This particular national route is very close to my house and I refuse to use it as I think it is incredibly dangerous having to look 270 degrees, whilst I think the idea behind the rule would make the junction significantly safer, the implementation of the new rules so far seems a bit crappy to say the least.
There is no "implementation of the new rules" yet, because they don't exist yet.

Until January 29th, they are proposed changes to the Highway Code, they only become actual rules from that date. And even then, they are guidance, not law.

Reactions: mjr

mustang1

Legendary Member
The first rule about allowing pedestrians to cross at junctions: I thought that was always the rule and I've been driving like that forever, always giving way to pedestrians (unless it's not safe, like a tailgating driver or if I'm turning from a high speed road like from a 40mph main road into a side road).

The 2nd rule about cyclists riding in the middle of the road in certain situations: i, like many of you perhaps, always rode like this. I've taught my kids to ride this way too but it's good that it's become a formal rule now.

I hope the TV/media advertise this so make as many drivers as possible be aware of it.

View attachment 623132

I’d assume that the give way signs on the cycle path are indicating that cyclists should give way to vehicles coming along the side road towards the t-junction?

Anyway. Good luck trying to explain that one to a mouth breathing, Daily Mail reading motorist who was born being right about everything.

Think I’ll stick to the road.

Top Bottom