New priority rules may cause confusion says AA.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
I think it is indeed saying "Don't left hook cyclists".

I had one on Wednesday night night on the way home, where the car driver did what this change says they should do - a pleasant surprise. I was in one of those fairly narrow painted "cycle lanes", a car comes past me, indicating left, with a junction a few yards away. I expected him to just turn, and was on the brakes ready, but he didn't. He paused and waited for me to pass.

AIUUI, that is what the new rule is saying he should do.
I can see this being iffy, I’ll never be sure a car in that position has seen me and is waiting or pausing for some other reason and will turn when I arrive along side. I’ll also mention my dislike of when drivers pull alongside indicating then look annoyed or mouthy when I slow or signal because I’m not psychic and can’t tell if they’ve seen me/care about me. Be smoother to just edit behind as per HC rule 182 (current version)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

I keep a copy in the car glove box.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Isn't the online edition kept up to date?

Do you really need the paper version?
I was wanting to buy a couple of new editions for the grandkids 13 & 7 yrs as they love spotting the signs etc when they're out on trips.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I was wanting to buy a couple of new editions for the grandkids 13 & 7 yrs as they love spotting the signs etc when they're out on trips.
Endless fun:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
New priority rules for motorists and cyclists coming into force on January 29 may cause confusion as most drivers are not aware of them.
A survey of 13500 drivers found a third knew about it.
https://trendswide.com/highway-code-rule-change-that-will-give-cyclists-priority-over-drivers/

View attachment 622535

And how many of you are aware?

The centre of the lane isn’t just for visibility purposes. It’s also to control the lane. I do it passing side roads, where coming up to a section with a central bollards so I don’t get close passes or car drivers inching out of side roads hitting me or giving me nowhere to go etc.

As for the pedestrians crossing side roads and motorists turning in. I was doing exactly that in one of the lockdowns and got beeped because they thought I had to wait till they’d turn into side road and passed by. They got my look of utter contempt at their presumption.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The centre of the lane isn’t just for visibility purposes. It’s also to control the lane. I do it passing side roads, where coming up to a section with a central bollards so I don’t get close passes or car drivers inching out of side roads hitting me or giving me nowhere to go etc.

If that catches on, they'll have to invent a name for it.

boydj

Legendary Member
New priority rules for motorists and cyclists coming into force on January 29 may cause confusion as most drivers are not aware of them.
A survey of 13500 drivers found a third knew about it.
https://trendswide.com/highway-code-rule-change-that-will-give-cyclists-priority-over-drivers/

View attachment 622535

And how many of you are aware?

That's a poor representation of the current rules, while the new 'rules' are little more than a clarification of the current rule.

A pedestrian crossing a side street has always had priority over a driver turning into the street. If a pedestrian has not already started to cross, then unless they are very clearly about to start to cross I don't see how most drivers will know to give the priority to the pedestrian. Good drivers will already be doing this.

As things stand today, experienced cyclists will not be kerb-hugging and drivers should not be overtaking and immediately turning left - but it still happens and I doubt a clarification of the rules will make much difference except maybe in the short term when the new guidance is publicised.

Better cycle facilities and more people cycling is what will improve safety.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I remember things like

"Remember the green cross code"

"Dial 999 and ask for the coastguard"

They were public information films and were always on TV. They obviously worked.

Top Bottom