Head of AA says more cycle lanes are good for drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
He has a history of talking sensibly about active travel, but remains in his job nevertheless.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
He's right - get those pesky cyclists off the road. Never mind that the lanes increase inconvenience and risk to cyclists. And if they dare to go back on the road you can then shout at them about road tax as a bonus
Inconvenience? Only the way this country botches them.

Risk? It depends how you count it. The study that Pete Owens likes to post in support of his arguments most often is almost 40 years old, from another era, well before anything like the current Dutch cycleways existed.

Shouting at cyclists? They do that anyway. And no, they still can't, not legally. It's road rage and, somewhat ironically, gets penalised more harshly than parking in a cycle lane...

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Funny the heads of the AA over the years have never rushed to mention climate change though ! ^_^
Turkeys and voting for Christmas spring to mind :laugh:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
He's right - get those pesky cyclists off the road. Never mind that the lanes increase inconvenience and risk to cyclists. And if they dare to go back on the road you can then shout at them about road tax as a bonus

After 18 years of riding in Denmark. I dont find cycle paths dangerous or inconvenient. But thats because they know how to make them, they know how to route them. The motorists know how to respect them. Having said that I did get taken off by a drunk moped on one. But I have only seen 2 accidents on cycle paths in thousands of kms of riding.

There is a big work gang in a village on my commute. They have some big, very impressive machinery. They are digging up a perfectly good cycle path I have ridden on for 16 years. It about 2km in length. Both sides of the road. I stopped and asked what was going on and they told me it was time the cycle path was renewed. There was nothing wrong with it. But the new one will be super smooth. Not only do they put them in at an alarming rate. They routinely repair them.

I have no idea how the UK could get into the position we are here.

Last edited:
Changing the infrastructure is only one part of the issue. Changing the mindset of the population is a whole other, often neglected issue and needs to be addressed holistically and include specific measures for cyclists, motorists, pedestrians, shopkeepers, industrialists, educational establishments, environmentalists, the disabled, media, politicians and others.

It needs to include measures that recognise that there will always be places where the various modes of transport interact, and provide soft measures to make these areas acceptable and safe. Doing that would reduce the number of hard engineering measures needed.

Alex321

Veteran

Head of AA says more cycle lanes are good for drivers​

Why not? It gives motorists places to park! :laugh:

There is one particular section of road with marked cycle lane that I use on my commute that quite often has a car or two parked in it.

This morning, there was one, but for once I could see it had a parking ticket stuck to the windscreen ^_^

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
He has a history of talking sensibly about active travel, but remains in his job nevertheless.
Almost only when it also benefits motoring. Often distracts and subverts if anyone asks about measures to remove the 30+% incompetent drivers.
I don't actually have a problem with that. He is after all head of an organisation that lobbies for drivers. Just as you might expect the CTC to be positive about a thing (like new road provision or something) but only when it benefits cycling.

These statements seem to me to be no more (or less) than would be expected from a sane person. But we're so conditioned to the view that seems to be current with the majority of UK drivers - that cyclists should die - that it seems like a breath of fresh air. When in actual fact is should really be just run-of-the-mill.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom