Rules on Shared Paths and Use of Lights in the Dark

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Can anyone shed any light on the rules for the legal requirement for using lights when on a Cycle Path and/or Shared Path whe it is dark.

I know the law for using a bike on the road, but I cannot find anything about cyclepaths. I will assume it is the same, but I don't like to assume.

Asking for a colleague who likes to moan about cyclists.

T4tomo

Guru
legal requirement? What about common sense? - use some lights so others can see you coming so you don't scare the bejesus out of them

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There isn't any, but as shared paths are often unlit, it's wise to use them. Dogs and walkers aren't usually lit !

Only issue is the 'lumens' wars where folk are using off road capable lights, which, unless pointed down, or on lower power, are blinding - not so bad in lit areas, but in the dark, it's really difficult for the other 'users' to see. I've just got some 'cut off' 1000 lumen lights (LED recessed in top of lamp and it uses a reflector - I'm expecting to be blinded by others, but I'll still see the path.

Despite these being 'cheap' chinese lights, there is a really good cut off. I always pointed my bright lights down, but other's don't care. The 'mad flash' is one of the worse.

Solocle

Über Member
There isn't any, but as shared paths are often unlit, it's wise to use them. Dogs and walkers aren't usually lit !

Only issue is the 'lumens' wars where folk are using off road capable lights, which, unless pointed down, or on lower power, are blinding - not so bad in lit areas, but in the dark, it's really difficult for the other 'users' to see. I've just got some 'cut off' 1000 lumen lights (LED recessed in top of lamp and it uses a reflector - I'm expecting to be blinded by others, but I'll still see the path.

Despite these being 'cheap' chinese lights, there is a really good cut off. I always pointed my bright lights down, but other's don't care. The 'mad flash' is one of the worse.

Dynamos can't muster the same lumens as battery lights, but the beam pattern makes the most of what you have:
1666080443460.png

1666080569189.png

The lumens on this light won't be so different (300), but inferior beam.
1666080483188.png

Seevio

Guru
I seem to recall* reading that where a path has been designated "shared use", it is considered part of the highway and therefore lights must be used after sunset.

*This was some time ago so I may be getting it confused with, idk, gerbils or something.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I seem to recall* reading that where a path has been designated "shared use", it is considered part of the highway and therefore lights must be used after sunset.

*This was some time ago so I may be getting it confused with, idk, gerbils or something.

That is basically correct. Cycleways, shared or not, alongside carriageways or alone, are all roads in law, so the Road Vehicle Lighting Regs 1989 (as amended) apply to them all the same.

I always thought that they are considered to be roads as far as lights and other regulations are concerned - hence lights needed after dark

As far as the type of light is concerned - I have rechargable LED lights - mostly set up to be seen but not directional
plus one that is brighter and more directional that I only use when I cannot see where I am going my street lights - which I generally don't frequent in the dark anyway - but it is always available as a backup and can be easily pointed a bit downwards!

nealmo

Nope the worst is the superbright head mounted dog walker light that they insist on pointing straight at you so you cant see.

Alex321

Veteran
That is basically correct. Cycleways, shared or not, alongside carriageways or alone, are all roads in law, so the Road Vehicle Lighting Regs 1989 (as amended) apply to them all the same.

I do love the circular definition of a road in the Road traffic Act 1988
"Road - in relation to England and Wales, means any highway and any other road to which the public has access, and includes bridges over which a road passes".

But I think you are right, they are certainly all highways, and I think that is what the internal "road" should be in the above definition.

Top Bottom