Highway code rule H2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
This was discussed a lot on here just before the new version of the Highway Code was issued. There were comments that it was going to be publicised via a media campaign. Did that happen? I didn't see anything but I don't have TV or read newspapers and was house-bound back then.

I've only seen one driver stop to give way to a pedstrian crossing at a junction and the pedestrian had no idea why he'd stopped.

I often have to stop just as I start turning into our estate (estate of house that is - I am not landed gentry!!!)
The road I am turning into is narrow and bends right after about 20 yards
plus the people living at the end exercise their "right" to park outside their houses thus partially blocking the road

As a result if a car is leaving the estate just as one turns into it then everyone has to go very slow and work out a way round each other

As a result I have to slow down a lot as I approach the turn - to the point where I nearly stop so I can check it is clear - and even actually stop on the main road to allow a car to exit the estate so I can get in

So basically quite similar to letting a pedestrian cross - and it often causes the car behind me to brake sharply or swerve round me suddenly

Clearly the car behind me should be more aware and leave more room - but a lot don't in spite of me signalling early and slowing down gradually

You just have to be aware of the traffic behind you and do what you can to avoid a crash - even ones that are clearly not your fault

winjim

Smash the cistern
Before I cross the road I'm going to stop and check for traffic. But by doing that I'm effectively ceding priority. Personally as a pedestrian I'm fairly assertive towards motor traffic and will put myself in front of vehicles if I feel I have priority but I wouldn't do it with my kids and I wouldn't expect other people to do the same.

It's tinkering round the edges when what is needed is fundamental redesign of our road junctions.

figbat

Slippery scientist
In the UK we are conditioned to assume cars will turn in and pedestrians will wait. It’s just how we grew up, so any behaviour other than this is going to take some time to install. In other countries I have observed that the conditioning is the reverse, with it being commonplace to give way to pedestrians when turning into a road. This has, in the past, led to one or two rebukes aimed (rightly) at me as I sail through a junction not thinking about people that will cross without a second thought.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This is the issue. People don't know.
I passed my test 35 years ago.
Nobody gets in touch to let me know of any rule changes.

Whilst you know what should happen - I bet most people don't - so please act accordingly. Don't step out unless you are sure it's safe. No point in being dead but technically in the right.
It was discussed a lot on R4. I don't buy news papers or watch much TV so have no idea about publicity there, but I'd be surprised if publicising it was restricted solely to a single radio station.
However, regarding your 'please act accordingly' statement... don't drive your car into pedestrians that are using the road.
My worry when turning into a side road, and stopping to let a pedestrian cross, is that some muppet behind will rear end me.

People just don’t expect a vehicle in front of them to indicate left, begin to turn into a side road, then stop dead leaving the back end of the car still on the main road.

I don’t know what the answer is other than to keep your wits about you and never assume other road users are going to be predictable…
Minimum safe stopping distance. You car is equipped with brake lights for a reason. If you get rear ended by some muppet driving behind you, that is not the fault of a pedestrian crossing the road.

Your driving licence requires you to meet the national standard for driving, part of which is keeping up to date with changes to the law and code. I am always surprised so many drivers are willing to post evidence online that they are not driving correctly.

The woman on 101 was wrong. Maybe go along to a local police public meeting and express concern about it. Or you could make a formal complaint but you got it secondhand so you'd be on shaky ground.

Did I say that I wasn't aware of the changes to the law ?
Just that nobody pushes the information out to drivers. They're left to check themselves. And when should they do that ? Each week, month, year, decade ?

We all know the standards of driving are poor but there's a breakdown in the system here. It could be better.

MontyVeda

You are supposed to give way to those waiting to cross. It doesn't specify where you should stop to do that.
read the link in the OP. it states...
  • give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
unless you're asking where on the carriageway you should stop the car? Surely the answer to that is obvious??

PK99

Legendary Member
In the UK we are conditioned to assume cars will turn in and pedestrians will wait. It’s just how we grew up, so any behaviour other than this is going to take some time to install. In other countries I have observed that the conditioning is the reverse, with it being commonplace to give way to pedestrians when turning into a road. This has, in the past, led to one or two rebukes aimed (rightly) at me as I sail through a junction not thinking about people that will cross without a second thought.

But, eg Canada and the US, where that applies there are Jay Walking laws - the ONLY place a pedestrian is allowed to cross is at a junction, and of course, there is a junction at every block.

It was discussed a lot on R4. I don't buy news papers or watch much TV so have no idea about publicity there, but I'd be surprised if publicising it was restricted solely to a single radio station.
However, regarding your 'please act accordingly' statement... don't drive your car into pedestrians that are using the road.

Minimum safe stopping distance. You car is equipped with brake lights for a reason. If you get rear ended by some muppet driving behind you, that is not the fault of a pedestrian crossing the road.

Monty - I've been driving for almost 40 years now and never driven into a pedestrian. All I'm saying is that vulnerable road users need to take care as a lot of drivers are crap.

MontyVeda

Monty - I've been driving for almost 40 years now and never driven into a pedestrian. ...
That's fabulous:okay:
... All I'm saying is that vulnerable road users need to take care as a lot of drivers are crap.
How's about this... drivers need to take care because a lot of pedestrians are crap vulnerable?

This 'new change' to the highway code isn't really a new change, it's just clarifying what everyone should already know. It's also been discussed at length here on CC... so why this is news to any of our regular readers is frankly beyond me.

GuyBoden

Guru
Having been nearly knocked over by a car turning into a side road last year, I now take even greater care when crossing side roads.

Yes, the car driver was at fault, he didn't even indicate, I was over half way across the road, but I was the person who would have been seriously injured.

That's fabulous:okay:

How's about this... drivers need to take care because a lot of pedestrians are crap vulnerable?

This 'new change' to the highway code isn't really a new change, it's just clarifying what everyone should already know. It's also been discussed at length here on CC... so why this is news to any of our regular readers is frankly beyond me.

Oh I didn't realize the car driver mentioned was on the forum. Who was it ?

MontyVeda

Having been nearly knocked over by a car turning into a side road last year, I now take even greater care when crossing side roads.

Yes, the car driver was at fault, he didn't even indicate, I was over half way across the road, but I was the person who would have been seriously injured.

So what happened? Did the driver stop or did you have to scarper?

either way Rule 170 is there for good reason
Rule 8 is for peds crossing at junctions, but maybe should include this bit of advice* from the guidance for using zebra crossings (Rule 19).

*Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross.

Last edited:
Top Bottom