Hill Special...Very Special Indeed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@rbreid what other treats do you have for us ?

PJB1860

Regular
Hello...Only 9 years late to the conversation. I don't know if you still check your messages? I have acquired a Hill Special Path Frame Model recently. I admit I don't know much about Hill or other track frames of this era. But what I did notice was that the Chater Lea track fork ends were double plated. I hadn't seen this on any of the other bicycles I had looked at before. So whether this was normal practice to improve the stiffness of the frame I don't know? The bicycle frame number dates the frame to 1950.
Hopefully you or somebody else could tell me some more? Many thanks

netman

Veteran
Hello...Only 9 years late to the conversation. I don't know if you still check your messages? I have acquired a Hill Special Path Frame Model recently. I admit I don't know much about Hill or other track frames of this era. But what I did notice was that the Chater Lea track fork ends were double plated. I hadn't seen this on any of the other bicycles I had looked at before. So whether this was normal practice to improve the stiffness of the frame I don't know? The bicycle frame number dates the frame to 1950.
Hopefully you or somebody else could tell me some more? Many thanks

Have you seen http://www.hill-special.co.uk/ yet? Great site and you can contact the chap who runs it for more info. I sent him photos and serial of my Hill Special and he kindly confirmed it's authenticity and dated it to early 1949 for me.

PJB1860

Regular
Have you seen http://www.hill-special.co.uk/ yet? Great site and you can contact the chap who runs it for more info. I sent him photos and serial of my Hill Special and he kindly confirmed it's authenticity and dated it to early 1949 for me.

Hello...Sorry for the delay in replying. Thank you for the link. It is a very helpful website. I have now contacted the website and as you said he was very helpful. All the original components have been replaced. I have stripped it down to check and clean. Now looking forward to putting back on the road again. Thanks again and all the best.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Interesting just been sent this pic by a friend who's been sent it by a colleague who is looking to sell it on behalf of their in laws......

it looks a sizeable frame...
20230827_151116.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes I have pointed out its ideal for a 6'4" Lancastrian....

20230827_151250 (1).jpg

Frame is surely 1950s ?? but I'm thinking triple chain set and simplex derailleur looks a later addition than that, maybe 70's.

Top Bottom