hill work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jacklad

did quite a lot of hill work yesterday. and felt pretty good after. however on waking this morning i have had some pain from my left buttock all the way down the back of my leg especially behind the knee. is it possible that i could have given myself sciattica by overdoing it on the hills or in your experiences is there a possibility it could be something else..

cheers in advance.

TijnUK

Hi Jacklad,

I read this article on bike radar this morning. Maybe it will point you in the right direction.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/article/health-protect-your-back-24568

Good luck

Shady

+1 for the link from TijnUK.

Radiating pain down your leg(s) from your waist area could indicate a sciatic issue - my wife have a great deal of sciatic pain after giving birth to our second child.

After plenty of research on the issue - there is NO magic cure to this, despite the numerous websites telling you there is a 5 minute fix.

Most sciatic issues can be alleviated or resolved by core stability workouts - most people (myself included) don't have strong core muscles which can lead to back pain issues and sciatic problems.

The exercises on the website link are spot on for exercising and strengthening your core muscles - I have been doing core exercises on a regular basis now for a few weeks and I believe it has made a massive difference to the issues I had with my back, sepecially while cycling.

Give them a try and see how you get on - these type of exercises also helped my wife with her sciatic issues.

Shady

jimboalee

What's with all this "Core stability" nonsense?

They are 'Rectus Abdominis, Internal and External Obliques; and Erector Spinae'.

They are the muscle group of the Vertebral Column.

Then everyone who isn't into flashy buzz phrases will know.

A 'core' is what you find down the middle of an apple.

Manonabike

Über Member
jimboalee said:
What's with all this "Core stability" nonsense?

They are 'Rectus Abdominis, Internal and External Obliques; and Erector Spinae'.

They are the muscle group of the Vertebral Column.

Then everyone who isn't into flashy buzz phrases will know.

A 'core' is what you find down the middle of an apple.

"Core stability" = 2 words Vs 'Rectus Abdominis, Internal and External Obliques; and Erector Spinae'

I can think of lots of examples where a couple of words is sufficient to describe something.... saves a lot of words to type too :smile:

jimboalee

Manonabike said:
"Core stability" = 2 words Vs 'Rectus Abdominis, Internal and External Obliques; and Erector Spinae'

I can think of lots of examples where a couple of words is sufficient to describe something.... saves a lot of words to type too ;)

IN THE TRADE, we say "Abs".

"Now we are going to work on our core stability' - Flashy buzz speak.

"Now for some 'Abs' work" - old school weights gym speak.

Count the words.

ASC1951

Guru
jacklad said:
Is it possible that i could have given myself sciatica by overdoing it on the hills or in your experiences is there a possibility it could be something else.
After one hilly ride? It'll be an over-worked muscle, nothing more.

Hont

Guru
If you have no history of back problems, then you may just need to stretch the muscle out. Cycling will cause a tightening of some of the leg muscles and you should be looking to stretch your hamstring, calf and gluteal muscles (after every ride). If it continues, though, see a Doc or a physiotherapist as it may indicate a lower back problem, which you will want to get treated to prevent any long term damage.

The other link posted, although very good, does not show any gluteal stretches, so I dug this one out...

http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8276150/gluteal-stretches-gluteal-stretch-bottom-stret.htm

montage

God Almighty
jimboalee said:
IN THE TRADE, we say "Abs".

"Now we are going to work on our core stability' - Flashy buzz speak.

"Now for some 'Abs' work" - old school weights gym speak.

Count the words.

Abs is just a part of the core though

Trek Trauma Chris

I take it that your hill work involved you having to ride out of the saddle for longer than usual, if that is the case then you have given some different muscles a longer than normal work out.

These muscles will tighten after use and even if you stretch (and you should) they will still be tight. Now if you are unlucky like me, the ones in the buttocks can pinch on the sciatica nerve (this nerve runs down the leg even under the foot) however this should go as the muscle relaxes, therefore you are better of relaxing the next day after your hill work, until the muscles adapt or get stronger to your workout.

If the pain does not go, then it is possible to have bulged a disc slightly (body rocking at the waist as you struggle up a hill) and this could just be pressing on a nerve in your lower back (but the pain can be felt elsewhere) this takes longer to go back, but there are specific exercises you can do to help.

Top Bottom