Hills on a recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Tim O

Über Member
Again, thank you to all. Every reply has something that is whetting my appetite! Bikefix sounds a bit unimpressive... I've just come across a second hand Kettwiesel for sale at what looks a reasonable price. It doesn't appear to have a triple though, but I assume a triple can be put on? I've taken on board the fact that, with a trike, you spin up steep hills in a granny gear but it's trickier (until you get the hang of it) on 2 wheeler. The Kettwiesel is cromoly. Any thoughts on them? Thanks again.

Ganymede

Veteran
I did once topple over going up a steep bit on my 2-wheeler, but I've only done it once! I realised then that you have to keep low and keep spinning. My little moment was on a hump-backed railway bridge that has a steeper bit just at the top - exactly where, on my hybrid, I would stand up to get that extra bit of oomph, if I wasn't already in a low enough gear. I'd cycled over that bridge a thousand times on the hybrid so it took me well by surprise! No harm done and lesson learned!

Again, thank you to all. Every reply has something that is whetting my appetite! Bikefix sounds a bit unimpressive... I've just come across a second hand Kettwiesel for sale at what looks a reasonable price. It doesn't appear to have a triple though, but I assume a triple can be put on? I've taken on board the fact that, with a trike, you spin up steep hills in a granny gear but it's trickier (until you get the hang of it) on 2 wheeler. The Kettwiesel is cromoly. Any thoughts on them? Thanks again.

The Kettweisel has no front dérailleur stem

You would need to by the dérailleur fitting first

Link here

Recycle

Über Member
Dave McCraw has an excellent article on recumbent effieciency, including a bit on hills: http://mccraw.co.uk/recumbent-efficiency/
Personally I struggle up hills because I have a heavy over engineered speedmachine. On a two wheeler ability to handle hills boils down to weight. Less of an issue with a trike because you don't have to worry about stability so you can crank your way up a cliff as long as your gears go low enough.

Ganymede

Veteran
Dave McCraw has an excellent article on recumbent effieciency, including a bit on hills: http://mccraw.co.uk/recumbent-efficiency/
Personally I struggle up hills because I have a heavy over engineered speedmachine. On a two wheeler ability to handle hills boils down to weight. Less of an issue with a trike because you don't have to worry about stability so you can crank your way up a cliff as long as your gears go low enough.
This is why I am upgrading this Spring to a lighter machine! Mine weighs a ton!

OP
OP
T

Tim O

Über Member
Thank you Cunobelin. I see you live just across the water from me. I used to do the Rowlands Castle loop on road races and time trials at Lee-on-Solent airfield circuit way back in the sixties (I was brought up in Pompey). Do you ever come over to the Island for the randonee? If (when) I get one perhaps we could get together and you could give me a few tips on trikes... Cheers and thanks to all.

OP
OP
T

Tim O

Über Member
Recycle, that's a fascinating article. Food for thought and more encouragement to me to buy a 'bent!

Thank you Cunobelin. I see you live just across the water from me. I used to do the Rowlands Castle loop on road races and time trials at Lee-on-Solent airfield circuit way back in the sixties (I was brought up in Pompey). Do you ever come over to the Island for the randonee? If (when) I get one perhaps we could get together and you could give me a few tips on trikes... Cheers and thanks to all.

I used to, but unfortunately an argument with tree many years ago resulted in a fractured hip / pelvis which is now beginning to play up so will not be doing this year unless things improve

The Kettwiesel is a lot of fun and would be recommended. I love it

You can mount more easily than a lower trike, but luggage is restricted to proprietary luggage as there is no rack

I have used Carradice saddlebags and a CF Trailer successfully along with the Radical Design and Hase luggage systems

Single wheel drive has an issue (for some) on gravel, and a lightly loaded front wheel can also cause issues.

I have a differential and Rohloff on mine which seems to have solved the drive issue, and have yet to lift the front wheel

Where is the one for sale - if you can ride it and make sure that it is for you

Finally - check the year of the frame as there is a drive bolt recall for trikes from Jan 2010 to Dec 2011 to consider

How low a gear you can put on a two wheel bent is largely governed by your ability to keep it going in a straight line as your speed drops lower and lower. This depends somewhat on the particular bike, and a lot on the amount of skill and practice you have. My long wheelbase two wheeler I can keep under control on the level at less than walking pace, but when struggling up a steep hill there is a speed below which steering corrections become very difficult or impossible. A clue that it's time to get off and walk.

You also have to allow for the development, over at least a couple of years steady riding of recumbent specific muscle groups. I put the lowest gearing my drivetrain set up would allow on when I first built up my bent. Now, I have gone up a couple of teeth on my lowest gear option and rarely find myself wanting lower.

As with all bents, spinning not mashing is the key to efficiency for most people. Also, when you want to increase power, emphasise 'unweighting' the non-drive foot rather than pushing the driving foot.

Recycle

Über Member
As with all bents, spinning not mashing is the key to efficiency for most people. Also, when you want to increase power, emphasise 'unweighting' the non-drive foot rather than pushing the driving foot.
Yup. I think that most bent riders will agree that they use more gears on a recumbent than they would on an upright. Your legs will find a sweet spot and any change in the gradient or wind will quickly result in a change to stay in the sweet spot. Fixies are the fashion with uprights but a recumbent can never have too many gears. You will use them all.

I also think that clipless pedals are essential. They allow a push/pull pedal stroke which is more efficient. They also needed to allow your legs to fully relax without falling off the pedals when coasting.

Yup. I think that most bent riders will agree that they use more gears on a recumbent than they would on an upright. Your legs will find a sweet spot and any change in the gradient or wind will quickly result in a change to stay in the sweet spot. Fixies are the fashion with uprights but a recumbent can never have too many gears. You will use them all.

I also think that clipless pedals are essential. They allow a push/pull pedal stroke which is more efficient. They also needed to allow your legs to fully relax without falling off the pedals when coasting.

Also if you lose grip on a pedal catching your leg between road and frame on a trike is not advisable

OP
OP
T

Tim O

Über Member
Thank you again to all. I agree about clipless pedals - I have them on my road and MTB and I can see it makes even more sense on a 'bent.

Unfortunately, the Kettwiesel has gone (the seller hadn't updated his website) so I think a communication with Kevin at D-TEK and a visit to Ely is the next thing on the cards. I'll keep you posted.

starhawk

Experiments done in that field show that push/pull pedal stroke is not more efficient, moreover some people can't learn to use that technique and are therefore more efficient in traditionell push only pedal stroke

paul fellows

I’m no expert [at anything] but with regards to the balance question! I have seen a program about mountain unicycling, if they can go up hill on 1 wheel you should manage on 2.

how do they manage this? Practice, and there centre of mass is high which means they fall over more slowly.

Top Bottom