hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephen.rooke

what do i look for when searching for a bike to climb hills, i feel the gearing my current muddy fox road bike is too high to climb hills, i want something so i can get a better cadence.

or should i just get fitter and use what ive got, ill be looking at getting a new bike in the next few months anyway

lejogger

Guru
What gearing is on your current bike?

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

23, 5ft 9 16.5 stone, been riding again for about 3/4 weeks, longest ride was about 17miles without having to stop, i can ride untill i hit a hill then im screwed lol. where i live theres some steep hills to get back home

raindog

er.....
At 23 years old you should be roaring up hills.
The biggest factor involved in climbing is personal fitness and body weight - I don't know how fit you are, but you say you weigh 105 kilos at 5ft 9. Andy Schleck (a pro racer and one of the best climbers in the world) is 6ft 1 and weighs 68 kilos.
Just get out and ride and ride, don't worry about your equipment.

tyred

Legendary Member
My guess is that that bike is fitted with a 42/52 chainset (42 and 52 teeth on the front chain wheels). I would consider that too high for a hilly area but I know people who manage it. To know your gearing, count the number of teeth on the smaller ring at the front and the number of teeth on the biggest cog at the back. Work out the ratio and multiply by the diameter of the wheel (in inches) and you will know the gear inches for the lowest gear. Hopefully it will work out something in the mid to low 30s but you will probably find it's higher.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
the bike also weighs a massive 14.5kgs and i bet 5kilos of that is wheels and forks.....so not easy to get up the hills with

tyred

Legendary Member
14.5kg is about 32lb, about the same weight as my Peugeot UO-8 and I regularly ride it in very hilly terrain without issue. It's all in the gearing. I have a 29" bottom gear, it's all in the gearing. A lighter bike might be quicker but at my level, I probably wouldn't notice the difference and a heavy bike is good training.

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

dont know if this helps but in 1st gear, it uses 42 teeth on the front and 24 on the back, im a noob with this stuff :biggrin:

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

it definately feels way off ideal :biggrin: when i was in school i could climb hills on my mountain bike easily. wish i still could lol

tyred

Legendary Member
Most cheaper road bikes that I've seen come with 42/52. It's way too high.

A MTB would probably have 28 at the most as a small ring, it makes a huge difference.

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

waiting for my company to introduce the cycle to work scheme then ill pay a bit extra for a new bike. i want to cycle to work and back everyday but i live on a hill and i simply find it impossible to ride all the way home, i have to push it up 2 of the hills :sad: . this is the outgoing ride on strava http://app.strava.com/rides/6835384 so coming back is the reverse

Top Bottom