Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TreeHuggery

OP
OP
P

paul2015

Regular
The first 3 miles were great but then it gets very rough and there's some holes so it turns into a case of balls lol 45.6mph top speed

I've got an allez elite but rarely use the drops, only really down hill when I'm wanting to get more aero for more speed

I think I'll make it a weekly thing where I dedicate a whole ride to tackling this thing aiming to get further each time without stopping

I'll get there in the end, the fact I made it to the top fullstop is a massive high for me, the temptation to just turn around and head back down was overwhelming at times
I live near there, try the Manaton ascent instead, turn right to Manaton instead of left to Haytor, its a longer route to get up onto the moors but the climb is more varied, and you get more rest periods. Loop around through Manaton, then Houndtor and then on to Haytor and the descent back into Bovey.

OP
OP
P

paul2015

Regular
I live near there, try the Manaton ascent instead, turn right to Manaton instead of left to Haytor, its a longer route to get up onto the moors but the climb is more varied, and you get more rest periods. Loop around through Manaton, then Houndtor and then on to Haytor and the descent back into Bovey.

I actually hadnt thought of that. I'll give it a go later and report back :smile:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Rome wasn't built in a day, Bruv. You have only been riding a couple of weeks. Give it time - it will come... providing you are minded to put in effort to improve.

Any tips for beginners? I've just tried the Haytor Hill and I sucked miserably lol. I'm fairly new only riding for 2 weeks and made it to the top it took me 32 minutes and average speed on the way up was 8mph and had to stop 8 times but I made it.

So any tips on how to improve?
The Haytor climb is rated Cat 2, 3.6 miles at an average of 6%, 32 minutes for your first efforts is very good, but with 8 stops means you are trying too hard, spin the legs faster in lower gears on the climbs and maybe go a bit slower, relax on the false flats. Split the ascent up into three parts, the first to Ullacombe cafe, then the next to the first Haytor carpark, then the next to the top Haytor carpark. Just think about the next section you are doing and not about the whole climb. Enjoy the view!

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
As others have said just keep trying... you will get stronger over time. Take hills a peddle at a time, and at a slow pace to begin with. In my teens I failed Ditchling beacon about 3 times every year during the London to Brighton.... but the feeling when I reached the summit (in my 20's) without stopping was immense.... :-) enjoy

Top Bottom