Hills ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sjw

More gentle slopes.
I've started to incorporate them into my very short (by comparison) bkool cycling attempts.
4 miles here, 5 miles there a day.
I get puffed out as soon as resistance hits and drop gears by loads and then struggle until I can increase gears, usually going downhill.
Anyway, is there any advice to help me with hills or do i just push through?
One bonus is calorie count shoots up!

practice and practice and when you've done that practice some more, it really is the only way , I hate hills, I never seem to get any better unless going down them

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Best i grit my teeth and get on with it then :smile:

Yep. That’s the best way. There are techniques which help but it’s still basically just get on with it. A couple of tips for you:

Engage a comfortable low gear before starting to climb

Try to maintain a steady rhythm which you feel comfortable with. When you find it easy go up a gear.

Imagine you foot pedalling round a clock face. When your foot reaches the 4 o’clock position begin to push down with the other foot. This will help push the first foot round and back to the top ready to go again.

If you push hard all the way down to 6 o’click more energy is used getting the foot back to 12 o’clock.

The above technique works best when using clipless pedals as one can also pull up with the heel to add more power to the opposite down stoke.

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

I tried standing up on the pedals in a higher gear but rotations become choppy and the bike rocks too much.
I did my fave ride last night with two small hills and I'm getting better.
Three miles pedalling used to be a struggle. I'm building up to 10 to 12 five times a week with a nice fast downhill thrown in.

Thanks for the tips!

mgs315

This is a bit ambiguous. Which side are you viewing from? Which foot are you referring to? If it is my right foot as viewed from the right hand side of the bike reaching the 4 o'clock position then it is on the downstroke. But if it is my left foot reaching the 4 o'clock position (as viewed from the left) it would be on the upstroke.

So if viewed from the left, pedalling anticlockwise, my right foot is at 4 o'clock on the upstroke and my left is at 10 o'clock and .... oh never mind. I've confused myself even more. :wacko:

I’m assuming they mean viewed from crank-side. Basically try to roll over the top and pull up a bit if you can but I tend to find it really depends on your cadence. If you’re struggling on your lowest gear I can probably see a benefit for this but I’d prefer to just have a larger cassette that allows me to spin at my desired cadence on any incline I desire.

Number one rule for me with climbing is pacing. Don’t go too hard. You’ll be amazed how much faster it is in general to take the bottom of a climb easy, keep strong throughout and up the speed over the crest is in comparison to smashing the bottom, just about survive going into the red in the middle and coming to a crawl over the top to try and recover. Yes it’s probably not going to win you any Strava KOMs/QOMs on the steep bits but your overall ride time will be better.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Number one rule for me with climbing is pacing. Don’t go too hard. You’ll be amazed how much faster it is in general to take the bottom of a climb easy, keep strong throughout and up the speed over the crest is in comparison to smashing the bottom, just about survive going into the red in the middle and coming to a crawl over the top to try and recover. Yes it’s probably not going to win you any Strava KOMs/QOMs on the steep bits but your overall ride time will be better.

Agree with this 100%. I learnt this the hard way. Also, if you're on a climb which eases in places, resist the temptation to accelerate on the easier bits. Rather use this respite to recover, ready for the next hard bit.
As you get fitter and lighter all this becomes easier anyway.
As for the other thing - I tell myself to pedal in circles.

CXRAndy

Guru
If you're a big heavy rider then hills will always be more difficult to do than a light rider. That doesn't mean you can't climb hills quickly and without blowing up before you crest. Get into a lower gearing just as the climb begins or just before . Stay seated as much as possible with a cadence that doesn't drop below 75rpm, if it does then go into the next easy gear . Try not to let the cadence increase too much or your heart rate will spike and you might blow up . Keep it below 85rpm by shifting into the next hardest gear .

Build up the length of hills and try to keep heart rate just below where you go pop. Once youve mastered this method, try standing up for 10-15 pedal strokes on the steeper sections then return to seated whilst maintaining 75+rpm. It takes practice and timing to get smooth transition from standing to seated and vice versa. Perserverance is the key word.

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

I've only got 21 gears. 3 on front, 7 on back so I'm experimenting for the best use for me on different routes.
I'm thinking of getting a cheap bike for actual outside eventually but it's just a thought still

vickster

Legendary Member
I've only got 21 gears. 3 on front, 7 on back so I'm experimenting for the best use for me on different routes.
I'm thinking of getting a cheap bike for actual outside eventually but it's just a thought still
Why can't you ride the bike you have outside? Are you recovering from surgery or something?
If not, get out while the weather is lovely!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

It's got a trainer tyre on. I'm not confident enough to swap it out for its proper tyre. Don't forget I'm a mere beginner!

vickster

Legendary Member
It's got a trainer tyre on. I'm not confident enough to swap it out for its proper tyre. Don't forget I'm a mere beginner!
Confident how, to change a tyre? What if the trainer tyre punctures? There are a number of YouTube vids to show you how to change a tyre. Practice in front of the TV. If really not able, take wheel and tyre to bike shop and ask them to help you do it :smile:
We were all beginners once

Looking at your location, you have lovely countryside around it. Make the most of it before summer is over!

Top Bottom