Hills ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
It's got a trainer tyre on. I'm not confident enough to swap it out for its proper tyre. Don't forget I'm a mere beginner!

If you are using a Bkool (Pro) trainer, you'll go a lot faster with a real tyre instead of a trainer one! I wouldn't recommend using the same tyre indoor as well as outdoor however.

Here in Denmark you'll pick up a lot of small flintstones, and you will have a puncture pretty fast, if you don't remove them ALL, before using it on a trainer. The heat generated on a trainer will make the tyre compound softer, and it will then be easier for the stones to dig the last millimeter into the tube.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

If you are using a Bkool (Pro) trainer, you'll go a lot faster with a real tyre instead of a trainer one!

Even a nobbly mountain bike one? I read its noisier and rips the tyre to shreds. I'm not picking a fight, I'm genuinely wanting to know stuff. I'm enjoying bkool and generally farting about with it

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Even a nobbly mountain bike one? I read its noisier and rips the tyre to shreds. I'm not picking a fight, I'm genuinely wanting to know stuff. I'm enjoying bkool and generally farting about with it

NO! A nobby MTB tyre would be horrible to ride on a wheel-on trainer! But I guess a non-nobby MTB tyre would make you faster.
On a race bike, using a hard pumped (to the max) worn tyre will give you an easy 20-40 watt extra compared to a trainer tyre. I use some old used Vredestein Fortezza Senso Xtreme Weather on my Bkool, and they work great. Best of all, they don't wear a much as some of my older softer tires, and there is almost no tyre "dust" on the floor. I guess those are made of a really hard compound, hence the "Extreme Weather" designation, and are able to withstand (flint)stones better than most, and also the heat from the trainer-roller.

Last edited:

nickAKA

Über Member
More gentle slopes.
I've started to incorporate them into my very short (by comparison) bkool cycling attempts.
4 miles here, 5 miles there a day.
I get puffed out as soon as resistance hits and drop gears by loads and then struggle until I can increase gears, usually going downhill.
Anyway, is there any advice to help me with hills or do i just push through?
One bonus is calorie count shoots up!

As you're doing your training indoors this is relatively simple - first thing to to remember is that on the trainer that gradient is ALL in your head as it's simulated (stick with me on this...)
I'm guessing Bkool gives you your power output as you're riding (I use zwift and have no experience of Bkool, sorry) - that being the case, doing 120W on the flat is identical to doing 120W up a steep hill, you're just travelling at a slower speed across the 'ground' (mph). So the first thing to ascertain is what power output are you comfortable at? If your average comfortable power output for a flat ride is, for arguments sake, 100W, select the correct gear to do 100W comfortably up the hill. Just before you hit the hill drop down a couple of gears and increase your cadence (the RPM you're rotating the pedals at), then as you start climbing your cadence will most likely drop as it gets harder to pedal, so drop down some more gears until you're comfortable with the cadence & effort. Aim to do that 100W at the same cadence you nomally ride at; that's how you do longer climbs without having a heart attack. Short climbs are different, you can power up by increasing your power output for a short burst then recover.
Good luck, 12 months ago I hated climbing but I'm learning to 'love' it...

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

I've just done 10 miles on Zwift round the volcano. Some gentle slopes but mainly flat. I'm sorry, I prefer bkool and yes, it gives the same info on screen as zwift.
I get what you're saying @nickAKA about the cadence

nickAKA

Über Member
I've just done 10 miles on Zwift round the volcano. Some gentle slopes but mainly flat. I'm sorry, I prefer bkool and yes, it gives the same info on screen as zwift.
I get what you're saying @nickAKA about the cadence

The flat routes on zwift are very flat but you can still get a reasonable workout because you never stop pedalling. I started out by concentrating on my watts per kilogram and doing group rides at my level - object 1 was getting comfortable at 2w/Kg, it's all jam from there.
The hilly route & the volcano climb are a decent introduction to suffering up the climbs, and once you've got to the required game level you're ready to tackle alpe du zwift...

Brusgaard

Über Guru
2w/Kg

Is that 2 watts per kilogram of weight?

Yes.

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

I was watching "my" shadow cycling today. Hills were standing up, descents were coasting. I of course, pedalled all the way, even through the easy bits.
My goal is now 10 miles with hills a day/evening until it doesn't hurt anymore then I'll up it

nickAKA

Über Member
I was watching "my" shadow cycling today. Hills were standing up, descents were coasting. I of course, pedalled all the way, even through the easy bits.
My goal is now 10 miles with hills a day/evening until it doesn't hurt anymore then I'll up it

To quote Greg LeMond "it never gets easier, you just get faster".
You learn to deal better with the suffering and the 5% gradients you can shrug off but don't kid yourself it stops hurting!

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

Haha I was dragging another machine behind me! Sorted now but no wonder it was harder work than it should have been ...maybe!! IMG_20180820_131610_hdr.jpg

nickAKA

Über Member
Just been over to Spain to see my brother in law who's done about 6 months on zwift on the trainer trying to shed some timber; couldn't understand why his times on strava weren't improving very much... knackered wheel skewer on the loose rear wheel, trainer tyre shredded where it's been catching the seat stays...
That's the sort of accidental handicap you can well do without!

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Haha I was dragging another machine behind me! Sorted now but no wonder it was harder work than it should have been ...maybe!! View attachment 425899

Just been over to Spain to see my brother in law who's done about 6 months on zwift on the trainer trying to shed some timber; couldn't understand why his times on strava weren't improving very much... knackered wheel skewer on the loose rear wheel, trainer tyre shredded where it's been catching the seat stays...

The kind off mistakes you only make once. There's a whole host of other, simpler, more difficult to find ones to do instead. DAMHIK :blush: :laugh:

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

Give him my love, I feel his pain

Top Bottom