hills!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Seriously want to get into competative cycling, just not had a chance to fully up the training due to a few long distance running races recently, but as of next week I don't have a long distance running race until june (trail marathon :biggrin: ).

My problem is hills! These are the area I really wish to do well in (being good at climbing hills has a certain romance about it) but due to limited time on the bike as a consequence of max time on the feet, hills sodding hurt and I am struggling to keep up on the faster club runs!

wed-fri I am more than happy to do 6.00-6.30 training dedicated to hill, does anybody have good excersizes/recommendations on how to tackle this? i.e. just spam my bike up the hill as many times as I can in 30 mins, do one slow, one sprint, one slow etc?

Help is appreciated, thanks!!

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
and not sure what forum this should go in so went for the reliable cafe :biggrin:

I think practice is the only solution. My solo averages aren't really high because I tend to opt for a hilly route but I'm probably to much hill orientated; I tend to outclimb a lot of people but on the descent they'd leave me. I tend not to think about a hill until after I've done it and sometimes, that works for me.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Well as I said, hills are more romantic to be better at imo, plus I prefer climbing them, even if I am shite. Added weight from being 6'2 can't help much xx(
so Hlab, your advise you be to bomb it up and down a hill as many times as I can within 30 mins to make full use of a 30min slot?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think the best way to improve your hill-climbing prowess is to practice riding hills, as often and as varied as possible. As you say, try riding in different ways as well.
Hills are mostly about fitness, but good efficient technique counts for much. Find what works for you by continued experimentation.... but most of all, learn to relax the parts of your body that are not directly engaged in propulsion.

That works for me but I guess we are all different I'm just 5'9" (10st). I like to push up hills and relax down them. I prefer a route with lots of different hill, different scenery make it easier for me.

Edit I've just read FF's post and I agree with what he's saying.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
cheers for the link colly, but it isn't on techinique that I wish advise (although ofc advise of any kind is welcomed with a warm hug and a large cup of tea). I wish to know how to maximise a 30minute slot in the morning to benefit my hill climbing ability.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
warm hug and large cup of tea? That smells like I may have wrote that the wrong way round.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try commuting - ride as hard as you can...... that's how I got back to my old (race) fitness level being 38-39..... rode the Manchester 100 on a diet of 15/22 mile commutes mainly.......the weekend 'warriors' suffered......

The key with hills is getting a good fitness and recovery..hence commuting is good, but not if you are traffic restricted.... you'll also need to ride lots of hills as well - say weekends....

How new are you to cycling.....? For me I'd had a lay off, so hill technique was still there, only I wasn't fit enough.... got fit by riding every day, hard....

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Well been riding since january, so yes I am new, however luckily I am relatively fit through running and wanting to persue a career in the marines.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah...be careful then..cycling fit is a different case.....it's all heart and lungs.......tis a bit different than thinking you are fit......

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Hmm...hills....there arnt too many around here of note and nothing I can tge tup relatively ok...but if I had the option of a flat road I'd take it every time, because I'm lazy like that

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Well cycled at least twice a week every week since I have started, and commuted 16 miles a day on the mtb (before it was knicked) for 19 months prior....so I do know how to pedal!

Noodley

If I was to make use of 30 minutes I would simply cycle up the same hill again and again (obviously going down it again and again as well :smile:)

Top Bottom