Hills!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tsddave

Where I live in Norway there are hardly any flat places at all and when I first got on a bike here my legs were dying a death quickly because of all the steep climbs close to each other.Thankfully they go down as well as up :smile:

Since then ive scaled (ya I think its the right word lol) up some very steep climbs. It took stronger leg muscles but also advice on the best way to tackle things.Luckerly I came into cycling with strong legs from running and martial arts. Some strength training for your legs will also help im sure.

Things I can add to this post are as follows:-

1) Get plenty of rest between steep road sessions.Dont hill or mountain climb when your legs are still sore from the last time. This is vital and not to be ignored!

2) If the area allows zig zap or crease S shapes up the hill. This technique helped me hugely and allowed me up places that I simply cannot reach without it

3) On the approach to the steep pick up as much speed as possible, change into an easier gear just before you know you really need to and be determined that you will get to the top.

4) If your fitness is failing you then use breathing techniques to assist your lungs

I hope this extra info helps...it certainly helped me when I found it.

byegad

Legendary Member
By Gad! Apologies if I implied that's the way I always go up hills.

The OP wants to get fitter, faster, stronger etc.... So I made that suggestion.

When I'm dawdling, I'm really dawdling. Milk floats bunch up behind me when I'm not in a hurry.

Sorry if I gave the impression I think I'm Marco Pantani's faster cousin... I'm not. :rolleyes:

I stick by my thesis that you'd beat me up any decent hill. fat,asthmatic, 60 and riding a recumbent trike. I get passed up hill by nearly everyone. :tired:

I could train snails to drag me up hill and go as fast as if I was pedalling. My 'thing' is to avoid serious lung overload, as that can bring on an asthma attack. That said I climb some big hills, just slowly.

Top Bottom