Hills!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

Hi!

Have a couple more beginner questions! I am trying to improve strength and endurance and have lots of hills around me to climb..however am not sure if I should be aiming to stand up on the bike when going up hill...which I can only do for very brief period due to incredible pain in the thighs!! or if I should be aiming to do the climb sitting down which is what I currently do..slowly! I have tried standing up part way at the steepest bits and found this can be useful until legs hurt to much but then sitting back down the burning pain gets worse!
Also should I use the easiest gear? I don't like this as much because of the amount of time you turn the pedals I find harder stamina wise, I prefer to have something to push against as I don't have to turn wheels so often and seem to go a bit faster..though is harder on leg muscles.
Any help advice appreciated.. I don't seem to be improving..the one I climb several times a week does not seem to be getting any easier
sad.gif

loops

Everyone thinks differently about hills, so do not be surprised to see conflicting replies. Among them you will see something that fits your pistol.

My disconnected and rambling advice as follows:

1. Hill never, ever get any easier. You just get faster. They will always hurt a little if you really have a go at them.

2. As you are trying to improve your strength and endurance, you are likely to be having a go. Therefore hills will always be tough.

3. Very few people will be out of the saddle all the way up a significant hill. Some people spend about 10% of their time standing, some 20%... it depends on you and what you want. There are hills that I have to come out of the saddle for, because the gearing on my fixie just doesn't let me sit down. these are hills I do not like.

4. Do not let your head talk you out of using the easier gears. At all times be in the gear that feels best. One of my children always keeps 'one gear in reserve as a psychological boost'. I admire his fortitude, but I wish he'd just click all the way down... If you have a triple chainring, you will have a gear low enough for everything except brick walls.

5. If you are climbing several times a week, you are improving. It may not show in the times just yet, but you are improving. Keep at it.

6. Other techniques: If you have clipless pedals (which are wonderful when climbing) try to do a few turns of each foot concentrating on parts of the pedalling motion other than the 'push down'. So maybe six turns of the pedal just lifting.... then change legs.... then a few turns just sliding the foot across the top of the stroke, then change legs.... then the 'shoe wiping' motion at the bottom of the stroke. These things are best done when pedalling more slowly than you normally would... a steep climb is a good place to experiment with this.

7. When I'm really dying on a climb, I often slide back on the saddle a couple of inches. It can be a real boon. Just stay like that for a minute or so, then slip forward again and it's like a second wind.

8. If you do stand, remember to cog it up a gear or two.... standing on the pedals allows you comfortably to use a higher gear. if you don't change up, it can feel a little wobbly and thrashy.

9. When climbing, relax everything you don't need to get the climbing done: Arms, hands, shoulders, face even. Sounds silly, but it all helps.

10. Remind yourself that you know you will win and the hill will lose. Every time you really hit the hill hard and crest it in one piece, you are further encouraged to hit it even harder the next time.

11. If it is really doing you in, introduce a little riding that excludes climbs.

I hope this helps. Remember, no-one finds climbing easy. But it does bring results the more you do it. :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
loops, it sounds like you need better gear management, that easier said than done but I like to change up when I stand up and down when I sit down. If a hill eases off I also like to change up so I have more gears in reserve when it goes on/ steep. Its maybe psychological but I find having gears to drop to when I need them is good.

I'm not the only one who does that then :smile:

Yup, I do that too... and it's nice when you realise that you don't need to use the lower gear any more on hills where previously it was essential
smile.gif

doog

Use the easiest gear. The correct gears will negate any discomfort. In the correct gear you should be able to spin up hills without too much effort, it just takes longer.

I cycled over the Pyrenees this year with 20kg of camping kit and the rest, one ascent was 5000 feet, my total ascent on my 10 day trip was 30,000 feet. My training for this was NIL hills. Using the correct gearing I could literally sit on my bike for hours spinning away up these buggers, enjoying it without pain and discomfort.

The only time I stood up was when my arse was aching and then I was like Contador, dancing on the pedals up the Ventoux
biggrin.gif

edit..just seen that he wants to get fitter (ignore my post- use the hardest gear
whistling.gif
)

chris-s

The only thing which hasn't been said is that too much standing and 'mashing' up hill's can lead to knee injuries (tendonitus) if you are not careful. This happened to me a few months after I started riding and has taken the best part of this year to recover, still not fully.

Chris

OP
OP
loops

loops

thanks people!

Will try to 'spin' I don't like to do this as I feel like I am going really slowly and using loads of energy..getting breathless, but probably need to look at my gear usage as well from what people say. When people use the word 'spin' I assume they mean going really fast? I am a female loops! Unfortunately I live at the top of the worst hill I have to bike up! So I will be doing it at least 5 times a week so hope this won't cause muscle problems.
rolleyes.gif

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
thanks people!

Will try to 'spin' I don't like to do this as I feel like I am going really slowly and using loads of energy..getting breathless, but probably need to look at my gear usage as well from what people say. When people use the word 'spin' I assume they mean going really fast? I am a female loops! Unfortunately I live at the top of the worst hill I have to bike up! So I will be doing it at least 5 times a week so hope this won't cause muscle problems.
rolleyes.gif

Spinning is riding at a high cadence, grinding is using harder gears and a slower cadence.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Dont spin so fast you can barely keep up with the pedals . Spinning generally means using a low enough gear to get up the hill without standing on the pedals.

On a big hill I get into the lowest front chain ring early then gradually work my way down through the cogs on the rear cassette ideally keeping one in reserve but I dont mind using the lowest one if needed.

You will go up faster if you use more power in a higher gear so experiment a bit but as has allready been mentioned too much strain can lead on to knee problems.

lulubel

Über Member
When I learnt "how" to spin, the thing that helped me most was focusing on moving my feet around in circles rather than pushing on the pedals. I found it much easier to select the correct gear that way - not so low that the pedals were going round so fast my feet couldn't keep up, and not so high that one part of the circle felt harder than the rest.

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Lots of excellent advice on this thread. Only thing i struggle with is knowing what sort of hill (how big) i can get off the saddle and pedal especially on a route or road where there's hill after hill. Like a lot of the advice i think it's more practice than anything which i'm sure will come eventually. :smile:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Lots of excellent advice on this thread. Only thing i struggle with is knowing what sort of hill (how big) i can get off the saddle and pedal especially on a route or road where there's hill after hill. Like a lot of the advice i think it's more practice than anything which i'm sure will come eventually. :smile:

The only way you will find out is by trying :smile:

byegad

Legendary Member
Hills are an issue of difference in cyclists.
Bicycle's first point, that hills never stop hurting you just go faster up them is one view. The other is to view it my way. I get to the top of a hill, still able to breathe reasonably comfortably and on the way up I get to savour the views the hedgerows and the wildlife. Bicycle would leave me far behind and if that's his bag to work hard good for him, but it's not the only way.

Bicycle

Hills are an issue of difference in cyclists.
Bicycle's first point, that hills never stop hurting you just go faster up them is one view. The other is to view it my way. I get to the top of a hill, still able to breathe reasonably comfortably and on the way up I get to savour the views the hedgerows and the wildlife. Bicycle would leave me far behind and if that's his bag to work hard good for him, but it's not the only way.

By Gad! Apologies if I implied that's the way I always go up hills.

The OP wants to get fitter, faster, stronger etc.... So I made that suggestion.

When I'm dawdling, I'm really dawdling. Milk floats bunch up behind me when I'm not in a hurry.

Sorry if I gave the impression I think I'm Marco Pantani's faster cousin... I'm not. :rolleyes:

You can get a turbo and practice the cadence.

Remember that breathlessness is not normally caused by lack of oxygen coming in!

Edge705

I concur with most stay in the saddle use a comfortable gear spin as quickly as yu can maintain only get out of the saddle to stretch your legs or pick up a bit of speed

Cobo v Froome vuelta last kilometre on Wednesday you will see what I mean - As for putting strength in your legs the only way you will acheive that is in the gym or lots of miles on the bike lots and lots besides if you push too high a gear you'll bugger those knees

Good Luck

Top Bottom