Hilly metric century from Todmorden to watch ToB stage 8, Sat 14th Sept, 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks Colin, 11:15-ish at Hollingworth Lake visitor carpark would be great for me.

I'll be testing my legs out tomorrow, when I go to see ToB stage 5 near Delamere.

Your full Lumpy 100km will be too much for my legs in one day, so I'll have to come back in a few weeks and finish the rest of the ride.:smile:
Excellent.

If we could come up with a mutually-convenient date, I'd be happy to accompany you for part 2 and use it as one of my monthly '50s'. @Littgull might be able to join us if we chose the right day.

Yes, definitely. I'd love to ride Part 2 with you @ColinJ and @GuyBoden on a day when I'm free. Enjoy your ride on Saturday and I'm sorry I'm unavailable for it.

Last edited:

Svendo

Guru
Hi Colin, I'm planning to come along if I may with the little one (Not so little actually, he's 2+ stone now) on the back. Be an interesting ride up Buckstones road! I'd then be going straight home to Todmorden, following a nappy change (the child not me). If my fitness
turns out to not match up to my ambition I'm fine being left behind, being very local and self sufficient!
Where to meet up in the morning? you'll probably be coming past mine in Walsden.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin, I'm planning to come along if I may with the little one (Not so little actually, he's 2+ stone now) on the back. Be an interesting ride up Buckstones road! I'd then be going straight home to Todmorden, following a nappy change (the child not me). If my fitness
turns out to not match up to my ambition I'm fine being left behind, being very local and self sufficient!
Where to meet up in the morning? you'll probably be coming past mine in Walsden.
Great! WOW, he will be the youngest ever on one of my rides, destroying the previous record, 17 years of age!

It will be hard work up the hill, but I suppose I used to do it weighing 4 or 5 stone more than I do now and you are fitter than I ever was so I am sure that you will manage it!

I will come into Walsden up Hollins Rd. I aim to set off at about 10:40 so I should get to HR around 10:50. Is your mobile number still ***** *** 686? (I could contact you if I got delayed by a mechanical problem so you didn't have to stand around outside.)

Svendo

Guru
Great! WOW, he will be the youngest ever on one of my rides, destroying the previous record, 17 years of age!

It will be hard work up the hill, but I suppose I used to do it weighing 4 or 5 stone more than I do now and you are fitter than I ever was so I am sure that you will manage it!

I will come into Walsden up Hollins Rd. I aim to set off at about 10:40 so I should get to HR around 10:50. Is your mobile number still ***** *** 686? (I could contact you if I got delayed by a mechanical problem so you didn't have to stand around outside.)
Sounds good, we'll be ready outside as you pass. Just at the junction of Hollins Road, Lumbutts Road and Knowlwood Road. Not sure he'll count as a participant as he's purely a passenger! My number is the same, I've a number for you ending 978.

Svendo

Guru
Sounds good, we'll be ready outside as you pass. Just at the junction of Hollins Road, Lumbutts Road and Knowlwood Road. Not sure he'll count as a participant as he's purely a passenger! My number is the same, I've a number for you ending 978.
He is useful for waving at people passing though, so I don't have to!

GuyBoden

Guru
Yes, my number is the same.

See you both (and Guy!) in the morning. :hello:

The weather looks excellent too, just to be certain of the location, because I don't know the area, should I be at the carpark entrance on Rakewood Road at 11:15am on Saturday or is it better if I go to the Lake Bank lane near the Rowing Club?

Carpark Hollingworth Lake.png

Carpark Rowing Club.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

We will look for you in front of the activity centre block in the car park near the rowing club on Lake Bank. I may well want to nip into the toilets there because finding a quiet spot at the KoM later will be a problem! (That might require riding 1 km back towards the main road and turning up Ship Ln.)

Rakewood Rd is a dead end, though there is a path round the lake which can be accessed further along it, and there are bridleways at the end for some interesting offroad riding.

GuyBoden

Guru
Another excellent ride/route from Colin, we saw the ToB KOM from an excellent spot at Gains bar. I knew the ride would be steep and I would struggle on the hills. Unbelievably, Sven made it look easy even carrying his child on a rear bike seat. I had a 42T rear cog, so I hoped I would get up the hills eventually, unfortunately I was very slow and Colin had to wait for me a lot of the time.

The gradient on one side of Scammonden Reservoir was so steep at one point I got off and walked up, Colin kept going and got to the top with apparent ease.

At the A58 Rochdale road, Colin turned off do another 50-100km or even more, as I struggled up the A58 back towards Hollingworth lake. Colin had told me I would enjoy the decent on the A58 and he was right. I flew down the decent passing other cyclists and hardly had to pedal before Hollingworth lake.

A great sunny day out with excellent scenery, many thanks Colin for organising the ride and for patiently waiting for me to catchup.

Svendo

Guru
We had a great day out Svendo Jnr had a fab time waving . I think he enjoyed the Police Motorbikes zooming past with sirens as much as the bicycles. Going up the hill was a proper effort, I was straight into my lowest gear and I was regretting it being 39x25 (actually I think that might be humble bragging?) After the race has e set off back down Buckstones Rd. (Dog Hill), retracing our steps. We hit 37.5 mph on the way down, nearly Svendo Jnr’s bicycle top speed. I did hold back a bit as there’s an interesting lack of effect from the brakes with him on the bike as well!
We had an unplanned stop in Milnrow at the park because the rear tyre went soft. Svendo Jnr played on the slide while Daddy changed the tube. There was a tiny hole below a preexisting cut. Still it was nice weather and an ideal place to stop and mend it. First mechanical with a child on the back. Then we set off and had a pleasant ride back to mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, it was a great day out. The weather was very kind to us, but I did start to find the headwind a bit much later.

@Svendo was definitely having to work hard with about 2.5 stone of child and child seat to lug up Dog Hill (Buckstones Rd). He was riding just behind me and I could hear the breathless chat he was trying to have with his son - ha ha! :okay:

The pros make those hills look so easy... Here's a picture of them streaming past us at the summit just past the KoM point. Note the Lotto Soudal rider on the left of the picture taking a casual swig after his little climb.

Tour of Britain Peloton at Grains Bar KoM 2019.jpg

Guy and I said goodbye to Svendo and Svendo-jnr and set off on our mini-tour of Saddleworth. We began the plunge down towards Delph when I was suddenly whacked in one eye by a fly. Fortunately, my eyelid was closed at the moment of impact; Unfortunately, the reason it got so close to my eyeball was that I had left my sunglasses at the summit of the hill! :cursing: I told Guy what the problem was and he effectively told me that he would keep an eye on the dry stone wall to make sure that nobody stole it while I slogged my way back up the hill! :laugh:

I found my sunglasses straight away. It seems that I had inadvertently trodden on them because both lenses had popped out of the frame, and one of the, er... (after a quick Google, I found the name I was searching for is) skull temples was bent. I managed to put the lenses back in and straightened the temple so it fitted over my ear again and then whizzed back down to Guy.

We continued down to Delph, round to Dobcross, then up through Diggle to the A62 at Standedge and soon crested the summit. We could have stayed on the main road down to Marsden, but I prefer the quieter route via Mount Rd so we went that way instead. From the town we climbed some way back up the B6107 (Meltham Rd) before plunging down Lingards Rd to Slaithwaite.

A stiff ascent to Clough Head was followed by a short refreshment break and then we continued to the A640, from which we descended for a tour round Scammonden Water, with the roar of traffic on the M62 crossing the dam nearby.

As Guy mentioned, the climb up to the B6114 to Moselden Height is very steep. It averages 10% for 800 m but there are a couple of much steeper ramps. I reckon one of them tops out at over 20%. I have nice low gears on my bike and the road surface has been greatly improved since the last time that I rode up there so I knew that by setting a comfortable pace myself I could get up ok.

I was on a lesser slope higher up when another cyclist came plunging down towards me. He called out, asking if I carried a multitool? My answer - "Yes"! His saddle had come loose and was flopping about all over the place. He tightened up the retaining bolt which gave me a chance to get my breath back before Guy made his way up to the scene.

After some more hilly scenic Yorkshire meanderings, we came out onto the A58 by Baitings reservoir. Guy was going up to Blackstone Edge before his fun descent to Littleborough.

More lumpy roads for me over to Mytholmroyd, and then onwards to Hebden Bridge. I eventually decided to treat myself to an easy finish, back to Todmorden along the A646 in the shelter of the valley, rather than doing a tough climb up the hill to Heptonstall and beyond, with a windy slog 'across the tops'. That meant my ride didn't qualify for my September metric century, but I still did 82 km so that qualifies as my September '50' (~51 miles in this case) for the 50-a-month challenge. I'll do the metric century in the next week or so.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I forgot to take a picture of Guy's impressive 42 tooth gold megasprocket but it impressed me so I have just been on Planet X and bought the last one. (They are still available in silver but those are nearly double the price.) I have paid £9.98 incl. £3.99 p&p, a bargain to solve a problem that I would soon have had with my CAADX...

When I bought the bike, it had 46/36 chainrings and a 12-30 cassette. That meant I was overgeared for steep local climbs and undergeared for fast local descents so I changed the small ring to a 34 and the road cassette for an 11-36 mountain bike one. That gave me a nice low 34/36 climbing gear and a highish 46/11 descending-with-tailwind gear.

Things are about to change, however... My cousin is coming down for the World Cycling Championships next week and he is bringing his old powercranks with him to give to me. He has upgraded to better ones, and I tend to receive his old kit when he does his upgrades. He gave me his Garmin Edge 500 GPS when he switched to a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I will be able to use the cranks with the Garmin to see what pitiful power levels I can generate these days. The big catch is that the powercrank comes with 53/39 rings and can't go smaller than a 38 so my nicely lowered climbing gear would have been raised to an uncomfortable ratio again. By using the megasprocket I will end up with a 39/42 climbing gear, actually slightly lower than what I have now. I will also end up with a stupidly high top gear of 53/11 which I can't see me getting a lot of use from,, but I will probably use the 53/15 and 53/13 a lot.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmm... I've just realised that I have the shorter cage version of the rear derailleur, which means that it would be woefully short of capacity (33 teeth vs 45 teeth)! (They are also only supposed to work up to a 34, but I am already getting away with a 36. Guy seems to be getting away with HIS 42, so there is obviously scope for this bodgery... :whistle:)

I may have to wait until the New Year to be able to afford any other new parts required to make the changes to my bike. Before that I need to get the fork replaced anyway - there is a recall notice on them because they have been failing in use, and causing serious crashes! :eek:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think one of THESE should enable my rear mech to cope.

@GuyBoden - which sprocket did you take out to make space for your 42? I saw a suggestion to remove the 17 but that would probably be one of my most used gears. I'd be tempted to remove the 13 if I could. That way I could do most of my flat to fairly undulating riding on the big ring and only do the big jump from 15 to 11 on the rare occasions when I wanted to/was able to ride at 40+ kph (25+ mph).

Last edited:
Top Bottom