Hip flexors.....what a pain !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Studley

I've been making slow but steady progress over the past 3 months since I started cycling and it's taken a good 10 weeks for me to get to a level where I can actually exert some effort over a sustained period of time.
During these few months i think it's fair to say that it wouldn't have made much difference if my setup was correct or not, each ride ended up with my back, legs and hip flexors throwing out the white flag. I had made an attempt at setting the seat height and the seat for/aft position using this guide http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm concentrating on trying to get the correct balance. This resulted in me moving my seat as far aft as possible so I didn't fall forward as my hands lifted off the bars.
Anyhoos, my recent rides have been really painful on my back and hip flexors and my legs haven't been half as painful, probably as I've been pushing a lot harder with my new found strength. Soooo, yesterday I checked the position of my knee in relation to the pedal axle with cranks horizontal and noticed my knee was about 25mm aft of the axle, I move the seat forward about 20mm and went for a 6 mile blast. What a result ! Still get the back and hip flexors hurting but they do seem to be aching at about the same as level my legs do and I can now regulate the pain level.
I reckon I'll always have back pain, something I've endured for many years but it's nice to know I can manage it better now.
Gonna try lowering the seat a few mm's next, see if that reduces the pain in the hip flexors.
My advice to noobs,It's deffo easier setting up the seat when your body has gotten over the shock of regular exercise. :thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Oddly enough i put my saddle forward 5 mm and up 3 mm and i got thigh, calf and hip flexor pain so i went back to my old set up .
I know KOPS is a starting point but its close enough for me , saddle height is . 889 x inside leg to centre BB and reach for me is elbow on saddle , stem is length of arm + 2=3 fingers width or front hub obscured by bars where it meets the stem when riding on the hoods.

Top Bottom