Hipaul new members from East Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hipaul

Hi, my wife and I have a dream to complete the Transpennine trail and I have an interest in trying downhill biking. I am partially retired and my wifes work days ended in redundancy.
We have front suspension only bikes which are good but with our age progressing on in years I have been looking at the ebike technology, with a view to upgrading ours or possibly new.
Our intention on joining this forum is to welcome anyone who is willing to share information with us to make
our biking more pleasurable and help with our goals. Thankyou.

midlife

Guru
Welcome :smile:. Can't help with your query as I tinker mainly with 70's stuff. I was born in Hull and East Yorkshire was my old cycling stomping ground :smile:

alicat

Legendary Member
Welcome! When I were a Loiner, 'Ull were in t'East Riding and they had white phone boxes there.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Hi & :welcome:, depends whereabouts in East Yorkshire you are, if you are wanting to try downhill biking, most of it round here is flat as a pancake :laugh:
I've done the Trans Pennine Trail twice, Hornsea - Southport & Liverpool - Hornsea & it's not really a route I'd recommend. Some of the route is a little rough, especially over the pennines & if it rains/has rained some of the tracks are not the cleanest.
The Way Of The Roses route (Morecambe- Bridlington) Is a much nicer route, especially for the less experienced cyclist :okay:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Except perhaps for the descent of Greenhow Hill to Pateley Bridge, which definitely isn't! :eek:
Ah yes :blush: At least it's a decent road surface :laugh:

OP
OP
H

Hipaul

Thank you all for your kind remarks and advice. I have not heard of the "Way of the Roses" trail but I'm googling it now as we speak.
Our intention (my wife and I) was to travel west to east on the transpennine trail but have no idea on easily achievable daily mileage, accommodation or whether we can even achieve it. My initial enquiries uncovered a negative on train travel with bikes as it appears only two bikes are allowed on any train. Sounds like we could be waiting a long time on the platform for enough room for both of us. Then there's the hills at Woodhead Pass which may need electric power!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My initial enquiries uncovered a negative on train travel with bikes as it appears only two bikes are allowed on any train. Sounds like we could be waiting a long time on the platform for enough room for both of us.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 2 bikes per train rule, most guards will allow more :okay:, but if you are planning on using the trains to get to/from the west coast, then I'd recommend getting the train there & cycling back which ever route you decide on. From Hull or Brough you could travel on Trans Pennine trains & reserve your bike spaces on the outward journey, so no waiting around :okay: Also we generally have westerley winds in the UK, so there's a good chance you'll end up with the wind assisting you rather than hindering you if you travel West to East :smile:

Accommodation isn't too hard to find, think there may be a list on the TPT & WOTR websites & the CTC website used to have cycling friendly accommodation listed on their site, but I haven't used that for a number of years now. I just search for hotels in the area I want to stop over at & give them a call to ensure there's bike storage & most have the facility :smile:

OP
OP
H

Hipaul

We've just returned from Dalby forest, North Yorkshire where I managed to persuade my wife to try an electric bike. It was a Scott with crank drive and front suspension. It was a success until I got us lost. Electric power is definately the future for her though. I think this is going to take a lot of research and saving up!

Top Bottom