Hiplok

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlenBen

Über Member
Anyone here used the hiplok chains or have any opinion on them? Im also not sure if to go for the original sold secure silver or the gold?

Currently use a kryptonite evo 4 d lock on the commuter, but the bracket broke and carrying it is a pain.

vickster

Legendary Member

Sixmile

Veteran
I've never used one but noticed earlier this week that they've a few on sale on their site and subscribing to their junk mail gets another 10% off.

I bought the Lite which is bronze, which I got for my ex's cheap Decathlon folder. At the time there were only two models.

He was interested in this one because it was lighter. It feels pretty damn secure, but no one has ever tried to tamper with it, so that hasn't been tested. It really depends on how much you want to spend, how much weight you want strapped to your body, how much your bike is worth, where you are parking it and what your insurance company requires.

I find the 1kg lock comfortable to wear for commuting distances (say up to 15 miles). Haven't worn it on longer trips.

Could you leave the D-Lock attached to the bicycle stand at work? Then you could get a lighter Hiplok for stops on the way home, and weekend trips.

As @jefmcg I have the Lite version at 1kg as apposed to the original 1.9kg. I rarely use it as I keep a kryptonite at work so don't carry it. The lite version I hardly notice when wearing it and have done 60+ miles wearing it, I use it at cafe stops if riding alone ( if in a group I don't bother as lots of eyes present and hope a thief will take some elses bike) . Can't say too much about the original but the lite is enough for what I want and my bike has not been nicked in 2 years of use, though I would say it has only been locked up around 20 times using it.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
I think im going to get the gold one. Insurance requires silver, but i think my mind will be nagging me if i dont get the strongest type i can.

Ill leave the d lock at work and use this mainly for trips to the shops etc. Thanks for the replies.

Top Bottom