His and hers bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dynohub

I've posted this under "beginners", although I've be a fair-weather potter around cyclist for donkey's years, because it seems that sort of question.

For the last year or so I've been riding an old Apollo, which I got second-hand, but that is falling to pieces and I'm think of spending some money on a new bike. However Mrs Dynohub has expressed the view that it would be nice if I got one she could use as well (the chances of us going cycling together are as near nil as matters).

Whilst we are both 5' 11", I have shortish legs and Mrs Dynohub has long legs. Neither of us are super-fit and we are both in our mid-fifties.

I'd welcome suggestions as to if it would be feasible to have a bike we could both ride (and NO I don't mean a tandem :rolleyes: )

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
Your problem is probably not going to be leg related. Most seat tubes are going to have enough adustment availiable at the spin of an Allen key.
Top tube lenth is the key to comfortable riding (not feeling stretched out or scrunched up) and its not something you can do much about other than having two different stems / flipping the aheadstem.
Why not try a few bikes and see how they feel to both of you -may not be a big issue.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
My standard advice is to decide on a budget, go to as many bike shops as you can and try out as many bikes as you can within your budget and buy the one that feels right and is the most fun. Oh and keep an open mind as to what type of bike you want to ride.

If the shop won't let you ride the bike out side on the road, then walk away and don't go back.

OP
OP
dynohub

dynohub

Hairy Jock said:
If the shop won't let you ride the bike out side on the road, then walk away and don't go back.

The last time I bought a new bike I still had hair - is "test riding" a reasonable expectation nowadays?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
dynohub;34398][quote=Hairy Jock said:

The last time I bought a new bike I still had hair - is "test riding" a reasonable expectation nowadays?[/QUOTE]

I did when I bought my current bike 5 years ago and my wife did when she bought hers 2 years ago, so I don't see why not. The bike shop may well ask for your credit card details before they let you try, but some didn't even do that, maybe I just have a honest face ;)

Tynan

Veteran
I bought two months ago and they insisted I take it around the block

it made me buy it because it was such a nice ride

'tell you what I'll do, I'll make the first one free ...'

Emu

dynohub said:
The last time I bought a new bike I still had hair - is "test riding" a reasonable expectation nowadays?

I road tested several bikes 11 years ago when I bought my Rockhopper and last year when I bought my Brompton. When I tested the Brompton I didn't give my credit card I left my Rockhopper and driving license! I think Hairy Jock is right - if you can't try, don't buy.

domtyler

Über Member
Keith Oates said:
Let her choose and then adjust your riding to suit. You might end up with back ache but for sure you'll miss out on the ear ache!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wot Keith Sed

Top Bottom