Hit after stopping at a zebra crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Wow. Do keep us up to date on this as far as you can - want to hear about how this driver got the book thrown at him and disqualified!

Arch

Married to Night Train
chthonic said:
I should have mentioned that the seat was empty! When occupied, you can see my son's bright yellow helmet over the top of the seat back, but there's otherwise no way to tell it ISN'T occupied. As it was, it was the vertical back of the seat that was hit - it simply flexed out of the way, imparting the impact onto the bike in a nice gentle manner. This is one reason I think I came out of it so lightly.

I ended up on my side half on/half off the pavement. Had to retrieve the bike from the road.

The Police were very concerned - had patrol cars out there and then looking for the car (I know because I saw them and the 999 call-taker was talking to them at the same time as me). When picking up the forms to report it, the staff at Kentish Town station were horrified that there could have been a child AND the lady with the dog also involved.

Oh yeah - and all this took place directly under a CCTV camera on a pole - so let's see if they can dig that evidence up too, eh?

Well, let's hope that all adds up to a good result. Did you get any kind of indication at the time of what the driver was like? Malicious, just dippy etc? Not that being dippy is an excuse, but it would be interesting to know the motive for just driving off. One of those situtations I think where insurance and compensation doesn't really come into it (little or no damage), but the force of the law does - although a whacking great rise in premium might also have a good effect.

OP
OP
chthonic

chthonic

Über Member
Arch said:
Well, let's hope that all adds up to a good result. Did you get any kind of indication at the time of what the driver was like? Malicious, just dippy etc? Not that being dippy is an excuse, but it would be interesting to know the motive for just driving off. One of those situtations I think where insurance and compensation doesn't really come into it (little or no damage), but the force of the law does - although a whacking great rise in premium might also have a good effect.

Never saw the driver myself, although one of my witnesses says she can describe him. From what I can remember, I think they didn't expect to stop, thought they could squeeze through and then noticed the roadworks and swung left a bit more rather than hit some plastic bollards. They slowed down clear of the crossing and legged it when they saw me sit up a bit they legged it because I wasn't yet dead. (I must have been sitting up because I remember shouting "stop you arse" and wouldn't have been able to see the car clearly lying down)

redjedi

Über Member
:birthday:

That is a disgusting thing to do. Glad you're ok and there was no child in the seat.
Hopefully they are found and given more than just a slap on the wrist.

chthonic said:
From May, I'll have son on seat and a trailer with 7 month twins in it. I'll be fitting big Boudicca-style scythes I think.

Sod that, a rearward-firing radar-targetted minigun would be the modern solution.
Sorry to hear about this chthonic, glad the seat was empty.
reference behaving like a kid by running away, it never ceases to amaze me how many grown adults will behave in exactly this fashion when they screw up, rather than face up to it they run off and try to pretend it wasn't them.
I don't think your road positioning would have made any difference to them hitting you, in fact, from the sound of the eyewitness accounts, had you been in Primary we would be reading about your untimely demise instead of this post.
Keep us informed of the outcome please.

Top Bottom