hit and run. Wolverhampton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave pp

I was hit from behind by a car that did not stop on monday evening on the A449 southbound approaching the goodyear island at around 1820hrs. The driver made no attempt to slow down or stop. Witnesses said it was a silver astra. The police were called and found his wing mirror. All cyclists in Wolverhampton look out for this car as I'm worried he'll do it again. I was lucky to survive with a badly bruised back.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Ouch!

GWS - it's likely there will be CCTV at some point so I hope they could be found.

OP
OP
D

dave pp

I was told there are cctv cameras further on down the road but I've not heard anything from the police yet. My bike is still at the police station so I don't know what the damage is yet.
The witness who saw it from the otherside of the road said he thought I'd been killed. The road is well lit, my back light is a cateye with 2 rows of 5 led's and I had a yellow jacket on.
Thankyou for all your good wishes

Crankarm

Guru
I was hit and run by a c**t driving a silver Vauxhall Astra October 13. The c**t slowed briefly but then zoomed off. Left me for dead in the middle of a rural road. Rear wheel and rack totally pringled. Me very lucky not to be be killed, hurt the back of my head, upper back and wrist. Cambridgeshire plod closed the case pretty soon after it was started. I got a letter advising NFA to the collision I was involved in when driving my car ………………… what total f**kwits.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Thanks for the alert. I'll keep an eye out up the road around Codsall

OP
OP
D

dave pp

Update: Hopefully back to work on Tuesday although my ankle is still swollen due to ligament damage. The police phoned me yesterday and said they'd viewed the cctv footage, it didn't show the collision but they saw me and then 15 seconds later the silver astra that hit me.
Now this is the unbelievable part, they can't read the number plate!!! You couldn't make it up!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Now this is the unbelievable part, they can't read the number plate!!! You couldn't make it up!

It's totally believable. Too much faith is placed in CCTV images. A lot of CCTVs have a fixed focal length and target a specific area. If the action is too far from the 'interest zone' then the details will have too low a resolution to be of use when trying to determine fine detail. It's not the polices fault nor the owner of the CCTV. The CCTV's tend to be installed to protect a shop/bar/car park and not police everything within its line of sight. Despite the existence of facial recognition software, poor quality CCTV images still need the use use of super recognisers to match the CCTV image to hi res images of known criminals.

OP
OP
D

dave pp

The camera is on the main road and the traffic travels towards it. Whats the point of having cameras if they're next to useless? Funny how the average speed cameras on the M54 have caught thousands of motorists over the last 6 months.
Now swmbo has banned me from night-time cycling so it's next winter on the turbo. All thanks to a lowlife who probably had no tax mot or insurance.

Top Bottom