Hit by car yesterday, doubled commute today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Schooner

Just want to share a nice event.

An indicator avoider pulled a quick and illegal left turn onto me as I rode home yesterday. I managed to stay upright some how by hanging on to his roof and thumping it to point out that he was about to run me and my beautiful bike over. I was lucky not to go down as I frantically tried to unclip. Together my thumps and other cars honking their horns highlighted my predicament and brought him to a stop. I shared a couple of expletives with him before composting myself. He, and his mother, got out full of apologies explaining they were going to the airport, had missed their turn off and had then seen the illegal turn off that they took very late. No damage done so I apologised for swearing and sent them on their way as they appeared more shook up than me. Hopefully he will use his mirrors and indicators more effectively in the future.

The adrenaline sure sped up the remainder of the run home, I loved it.

Anyway today I doubled the commute for the first time as the weather was fine. Something changed in me yesterday and it feels great. Can't explain it but having the wee crash and not losing the rag has seemed to enliven me.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The adrenaline sure sped up the remainder of the run home, I loved it.

Anyway today I doubled the commute for the first time as the weather was fine. Something changed in me yesterday and it feels great. Can't explain it but having the wee crash and not losing the rag has seemed to enliven me.

Welcome to the world of the immortals! Just be careful because one day you might find out you are not quite as indistructable as you think you are (as I did about 10 years ago when I fell off my MTB in a stupid slow speed manoeuvre and dislocated my shoulder). Having said that, I still feel that I could probably go across the bonnet of a car and get up to argue about it afterwards!!!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I got wiped out on tuesday by a car turning right into me. I was doing about 15 mph and she wasdoing 5-10 mph. I escaped with some badly strained muscles bruising and road rash and was hugely lucky not to have been more seriously hurt. Bike is totalled but I am well on the mend. I definitely felt some elation at surviving and am just now becoming more and more angry about it as it was completely not my fault and entirely down to the driver just not being arsed to look properly,
Yay to surviving. It feels great.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not nice sliding down or over a car onto the road. My most vivid memory was the grinding of my helmet on the road surface as I slid along on my head and shoulder (not getting into a debate). I couldn't move off the floor as the handle bars had spun round and smacked my thigh, resulting in a dead leg.

I did punch the car wing a few times in anger whilst on my back.:biggrin:

Top Bottom