Hit pothole - damaged tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The other day I hit a pothole, and my tube deflated with 2 slits which look like it was pinched.

The rim, other than a bit of damage to the braking surface, is perfectly fine (alignment both ways is straight), but even with a bit of fiddling I cannot get the tyre to sit properly.

I'm not sure how to explain this properly - but when I rotate my wheel, the height of the tyre from the rim drops around the place it got hit - the rim obviously is fine.

Is the tyre damaged? I think this drop might have caused the pinch after hitting the hole - I'd guess I am at risk from getting another pinch puncture like this?

BenScoobert

That road's a disgrace, bill the council

Your rim may have been flat spotted - try closing the brake blocks up as close to the rim as possible, turn the wheel slowly around and see if the rim drops in relation to the blocks at the point of impact.

It can only be this unless you replaced your tyre in exactly the same position as before.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Your rim may have been flat spotted - try closing the brake blocks up as close to the rim as possible, turn the wheel slowly around and see if the rim drops in relation to the blocks at the point of impact.

It can only be this unless you replaced your tyre in exactly the same position as before.

Rim is fine, already checked this, its fine in all directions, and isn't caved in either.

The tyre would have been replaced roughly where the rim hit the floor (I am assuming it hit in the area of the rim damage + tube gashes).

I'm confident if I turned the tyre, it would "drop" at the same place in relation to the tyre.

You need to keep your tyres pumped up hard... ;)

I run at 100+, usually 110 and had checked it a few days prior. I'm surprised too the rim (it seems) hit, although considering the damage is on the side maybe only the side of the rim hit against the pothole.

If your rims circular but the tyre sits down a one point ....
Then a "kill or cure" method of getting the tyre to sit correctly is to over inflate it.
This will force the low spot of the tyre outward.
After you've done it, let the tyre down to the correct running pressure.

Its "kill or cure" because there is always the danger that the over pressure will blow/damage the tyre or the rim itself ..... :ohmy:

Luck .......... :biggrin:

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Don't you mean change my front to the rear to see if it still happens? ;)

Thanks for the suggestion though will give that a try tomorrow.

Gives me an excuse to buy a new pair of tyres anyway :tongue:

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Yea I got that, but why put the rear tyre on the front if you'd want to test the front tyre on the rear to check the wheel.

Just being pedantic ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH looks like the tyre is faulty. You could have casing damage - hence the not too round shape.

Try removing tyre, talc'ing and re-fitting - if still doing it then bin the tyre.

Rim looks straight.

TBH...

Remove tyre, fit wheel back in bike and spin (without tyre)..check....if OK, then re-fit tyre.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Will fiddle around with all that tomorrow.

Ordered a pair of new Vittoria Diamante Pro anyway :tongue: this or these tyres will be my spares, although a bit worn still have life to them.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Swapped them over, rear rim/tyre are fine.

Front still has the drop - the edge of the tyre that sits in the rim doesn't sit high enough, a bit of fiddling I've got the one side fine so its slightly better.

Top Bottom