Hobson's Choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've been thinking a lot about this recently... it really is the only choice I want.

since @annedonnelly said this in the Elephant bike thread...

I found the colour choice the hardest part of selecting my Brompton spec. Sometimes it's easier when stuff only comes in the one colour!

...I thought I'd start a thread about it.

We all like options but options only provide an opportunity for making the wrong choice.

Recently when trying to choose a new washing machine, I knew what make i wanted, and the minimum spin speed and maximum price and still had far too many to choose from... then when i realised that a machine deeper than 55cm would mean i wouldn't be able to open a cupboard door, I put the max depth of 55cm into the search criteria and was left with only one machine to choose from. Result! you can't go wrong when there's only one option. :okay:

Anyone who's been reading the Bassist and Guitarist thread might have read about my build project. The wiring side baffled me and didn't know what capacitor i'd need to solder in with the pick-up and pots circuit... so I asked the seller of my pick-ups and pots for advice. They kindly said they'd throw one in for free (they only cost about tuppence anyway)... but when the package arrived he'd (kindly) put three difference capacitors in so i could choose the one that suited me best :sad: I didnt' have a clue, so after a day reading stuff online and watching far too many YT videos, I decided i wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any of them. It would have been so much easier if he'd given me just one capacitor.

And years ago when considering a Brompton... i definitely spent more time looking at colours than i did the rest of the spec... so i feel your pain Anne :smile:

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The other option I'd like is "exactly the same as the last one I bought". The old one was perfect for my needs but has now worn out & I just want the same thing again.

Old jon

Guru
Yup, I too have had this choice problem bite me. In January 2020 I went to Bob Jackson's, to order a new frame. I had written down all the details, didn't want to forget anything. So, thirty minutes or so discussing all the technical stuff. Then the man asked me what colour I wanted it. I had never given it a thought!
There were frames hanging on a wall, different colour schemes. I pointed at one after quite some time looking and trying to decide. That one was extra cost, OK what about the one next to it? He half seriously suggested that I just have it in primer, until I made up my mind.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The other option I'd like is "exactly the same as the last one I bought". The old one was perfect for my needs but has now worn out & I just want the same thing again.
Absolutely this. They've discontinued the shoes I like and I'm bereft. This is why autistics sometimes buy multiple identical items of clothes. My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and couldn't fathom that I wanted a pair of jeans identical to the ones I was wearing. She just couldn't process it. Eventually she got me a pair the same but in a different colour. I'll manage but they're not what I wanted.

I don't like even having a different breakfast cereal.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Even shoes?
And socks

In the early 1980s I knew an old chap (retired by the time I made his acquaintance) who had been a Vicar from his early 20s. When he first started out, he knew, due to the era and his vocation, that he would spend his life in dark coloured suits, so he found a pair of black lace up shoes he really liked, bought ten pairs, and never wore any other shoes for the next 60 years.

My daughters godparents were regular competitors in national level car rallying. He drove, she navigated.
He would drive the car exactly and wherever she told him to.
Until they drove into an empty car park and she said "just park anywhere". He would practically burst his brain, trying to guess and second guess and third guess exactly where in the car park he should leave the car.....

Top Bottom