Hoek to Gent in October. Talk some sense into me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Health problems disrupted my cycling plans in July and August, so my Dutch son and I have agreed to meet in Gent, Belgium in mid- October for a mini- holiday. The assumption was/is that I would fly and train my way there and back.

Now I'm thinking about train to Harwich and ferry to the Hoek ( both easy and familiar) then cycling to Gent (160km). I envisage rain, wind and misery.

I'd be using hotels/vriendenopdefiets.

Am I deluded/feverish or just stupid?

Slick

Guru
Probably both, magic.

Realistic/level headed and very sensible, I'd say. I once cycled back from Ghent to NL with a broken leg in plaster (footballing kickabout accident). If it's too wet and windy, the train from Schiedam to Ghent takes about three hours and costs about 23 euri. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Go for it. I love the ferry from Harwich. Easy to get on with a bike (we’ve queued with the cars and cycled on, and have taken Brommies and gone on as foot passengers). My preference is to get the overnight sailing (board at 8.30pm) and have a nice breakfast before setting off the next morning.

My dodgy knee joint tells me there’ll be an Indian summer in October this year.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Realistic/level headed and very sensible, I'd say. I once cycled back from Ghent to NL with a broken leg in plaster (footballing kickabout accident). If it's too wet and windy, the train from Schiedam to Ghent takes about three hours and costs about 23 euri. Enjoy!

Thanks, that's an argument in favour - there are easy options to bail-out if needed.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Go for it. I love the ferry from Harwich. Easy to get on with a bike (we’ve queued with the cars and cycled on, and have taken Brommies and gone on as foot passengers). My preference is to get the overnight sailing (board at 8.30pm) and have a nice breakfast before setting off the next morning.

I love it too, especially now I know the location of the pre-checking in waiting room, which is virtually unused.

On the basis of your knee's prediction I think I may have to do it.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along

Using a folding bike is a great idea - it would make the bail-out options simpler. Genius. I take back everything I've ever said about you on that other thread, @Rocky

grldtnr

You know what they say, 'Harwich for the continent and Frinton for the incontinent '.
Go for it.

Do they now ? And there's me thinking East of Essex is the 'driest' part of England.
Actually Wakering , not too far from me is reputedly sees the less rainfall in England, so dry the locals reputedly have webbed feet, why I don't know!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Actually @gridtnr it was the old railway poster.

IMG_20230903_214521.jpg

Wags would scrawl the insult underneath.

Hope for the best....
I can visualise lovely sunny autumn days with the world to myself.

Expect the worst.....
I envisage rain, wind and misery.

Most importantly, be happy for what you get!

You seem to have already made up your mind so I'll be boring:

Fantastic infrastructure and lots of trains give lots of options. Maybe consider matching your route to rail routes. Personally, I've always found Dutch trains more friendly than their Belgian siblings but that's more due to the contrast between the slick organisation of the Dutch and the slightly more chaotic Belgians. Remember, bikes are generally limited or banned during peak times. A folder would be perfect.

Lots of online weather info but I've done many an overnighter in that part of the world at that time of the year (and later) with a tent. The biggest challenge for me on the bike has always been the early nights. On the other hand, earlier arrivals give more time for relaxing and exploring. Or eating and drinking^_^
https://www.buienradar.nl/ is a brilliantly accurate rainmap.

Am I deluded/feverish or just stupid?
You forgot option 3: An adventurer!

Sorry to read you've been unwell - hope you have a great time!

Top Bottom