Hoist for Car Boot - Options for help in getting the bike in/out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've recently invested in a folding electric bike (Eovolt Afternoon). Am looking at options to help lift it in and out the boot of a car. There's several options using devices for lifting scooters but they are heavily weighted towards motability eligibility which we don't have, this puts the price up to £1500+ which isn't an option.

Anyone got experience of this or alternatives to help lift bikes in/out of a car?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Clip on fork lift truck like lots of trucks have ? :whistle:

Might be worth posting your question on a car or a disability forum or any kind of sporting forum which may require equipment lifting into vehicles - people there may have much wider experience of lifting items.

One possibility is some kind of ramp you may be able to wheel the bike up, depending on the fold, in which case could be worth investigating dog sites as I have seen quite a few people who have portable ramps to help dogs walk up into the back of cars. Some of the larger dogs must be pretty heavy. Older dogs often can't jump that high due to joint issues etc.

If you find an answer to your problem, please let us know as it may be really useful to others, as well as interesting in itself.

Jody

Stubborn git
The ghetto way would be a cheap winch with a ramp to the tailgate and just drag it in on it's side.

Dadam

Stout plank of wood leaning on the boot lip and wheel the bike up?
Just googled the Afternoon, looks a nice bike but 23.6kg! That's not far off my Bosch engined Cube 29er with 2.6" tyres.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Might be worth posting your question on a car or a disability forum or any kind of sporting forum which may require equipment lifting into vehicles - people there may have much wider experience of lifting items.

One possibility is some kind of ramp you may be able to wheel the bike up, depending on the fold, in which case could be worth investigating dog sites as I have seen quite a few people who have portable ramps to help dogs walk up into the back of cars. Some of the larger dogs must be pretty heavy. Older dogs often can't jump that high due to joint issues etc.

If you find an answer to your problem, please let us know as it may be really useful to others, as well as interesting in itself.

I found the Which Motability site so I'll try that, might have a look for SAGA forums too. Actually I need to see if SAGA do any discounts on equipment like this. I will the try sporting and dog forums too.

The ghetto way would be a cheap winch with a ramp to the tailgate and just drag it in on it's side.

I would get hung, drawn and quartered if I attempted that! She's very proud of her new bike and anything I did to damage it would be met with pain!

Stout plank of wood leaning on the boot lip and wheel the bike up?
Just googled the Afternoon, looks a nice bike but 23.6kg! That's not far off my Bosch engined Cube 29er with 2.6" tyres.

It needs to go in flat to fit, car is a small SUV style and biek wouldn't wheel in at all. I would have preferred a smaller one but she wanted larger wheels for a more confident ride, it's heavier than some and it is classed as folding leisure bike more than a folding commuter but the price for a lighter electric folder was beyond the budget.

To state the bleedi obvious - you can remove the battery to make it a lot lighter

If it has a hub motor then how easy would it be to remove the rear wheel plus motor
then reassemble when you get it out

I do have to say that we have an electric folder - and without the battery I can lift it into the boot quite easily

however I did find it easier to put it in the back of the car in my last car (just changed it!) as the floor was lower

How heavy is the bike?
In fact - what make and model is it - some people might have found a solution maybe?

Dadam

It needs to go in flat to fit, car is a small SUV style and biek wouldn't wheel in at all. I would have preferred a smaller one but she wanted larger wheels for a more confident ride, it's heavier than some and it is classed as folding leisure bike more than a folding commuter but the price for a lighter electric folder was beyond the budget.

OK. It's hard to visualise as I don't know the car but I was thinking wheel the bike up and fold it once it's "nearly in". So imagine front wheel is past the lip, then maybe if you angle the bike across the car a bit and turn the bars the rear wheel might then go past the lip. Even if the bike is still leaning out slightly you might be able to hold in place while you fold it. Sounds a faff and might well be in reality, but just trying to think laterally.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
To state the bleedi obvious - you can remove the battery to make it a lot lighter

If it has a hub motor then how easy would it be to remove the rear wheel plus motor
then reassemble when you get it out

I do have to say that we have an electric folder - and without the battery I can lift it into the boot quite easily

however I did find it easier to put it in the back of the car in my last car (just changed it!) as the floor was lower

How heavy is the bike?
In fact - what make and model is it - some people might have found a solution maybe?

I have suggested battery removal, and she'll need to remove it when storing as the battery needs to be indoors so I think this will start happening more often. However removing any components for her is a none starter, she is not a mechanically minded person and though when I'm with her I can do that, it's just easier for me to lift it.

I'm just starting down the rabbit hole of making things easier, haven't found any owners forums yet but its an Eovolt Afternoon and weighs 21.3kg.

I've just found something which seems better than a hoist in the car: Elev8 Portable Mobility Hoist .

OK. It's hard to visualise as I don't know the car but I was thinking wheel the bike up and fold it once it's "nearly in". So imagine front wheel is past the lip, then maybe if you angle the bike across the car a bit and turn the bars the rear wheel might then go past the lip. Even if the bike is still leaning out slightly you might be able to hold in place while you fold it. Sounds a faff and might well be in reality, but just trying to think laterally.

Yeah it won't work, the bike needs to be folded before attempting to put in. I could probably do what your describing but she is less mobile/strong and would be in danger of dropping the bike. We've also ordered a bike bag anyway to put it in so its more like a large suitcase to manhandle in.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You probably really need to see what the lift into the car is like without the battery. Can't be that difficult to remove, and your wife will get the hang of it if she's on her own. It appears the battery is in the seatpost, so once set up, I'd put a blob of paint on the post so your wife can remove and refit at the correct height. Looks like a simple connector.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I use telescopic wheelchair ramps to get my trikes into the Peugeot Partner as it has a rear opening door. Something similar should work with almost any car where the interior is big enough to take the bike.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
You probably really need to see what the lift into the car is like without the battery. Can't be that difficult to remove, and your wife will get the hang of it if she's on her own. It appears the battery is in the seatpost, so once set up, I'd put a blob of paint on the post so your wife can remove and refit at the correct height. Looks like a simple connector.

Erm it's actually my Mum lol :whistle::shy:

The post is marked with numbers so she's ok there, it's just very stiff as I tightened it to stop slipping. Practice will make this easier.
I use telescopic wheelchair ramps to get my trikes into the Peugeot Partner as it has a rear opening door. Something similar should work with almost any car where the interior is big enough to take the bike.

I did try to persuade to look at that type of car when she was changing last time but she didn't like any of them, time will tell if I can persuade her next time that convenience wins over looks!

Top Bottom