Holdsworth 1972 Super Mistral Needs New Forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnggold

I am restoring not a barn find but a bedroom find Holdsworth untouched for probably 20 years +.

Unfortunately, the front forks have been replaced by a Raleigh fork. There is some evidence that the frame had a front knock.
To do a proper job I need the right forks. Condition not a problem, as the paintwork is too rusty and the decals too damaged to salvage.
I got five vintage bikes all at the same time from the same bedroom, and they have all been repaired with whatever tape electrical, masking, sellotape which had been there so long. Some of was to replace connections broken, but a lot to cover up rust.

I just need the right forks, and the frame can be reassembled. The 27" wheels and other parts are ready to go. I had to source another crankset because the left crank turned out to be a different length, and had belonged to another Raleigh Sport bike in the collection - minus the crank!

If anyone has one - pretty well any condition, please let me know.

Thanks.

Can anyone help.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You'll need to specify what steerer length you need. Typically, this will be about 40mm longer than the head tube.

The steering geometry on these is pretty standard, so any 700c "1970s sport bike" fork of the right kind of blade and steerer length will do. It may well improve the handling, as the two Holdsworths I've had both had the steerer brazed in wonky, giving tiny offset (25mm in one case) and supertanker handling.:ohmy:

OP
OP
J

johnggold

You'll need to specify what steerer length you need. Typically, this will be about 40mm longer than the head tube.

The steering geometry on these is pretty standard, so any 700c "1970s sport bike" fork of the right kind of blade and steerer length will do. It may well improve the handling, as the two Holdsworths I've had both had the steerer brazed in wonky, giving tiny offset (25mm in one case) and supertanker handling.:ohmy:
I am restoring the bike as close to original so I need the right fork. I have loads in my workshop that would fit. The right fork has sloping shoulders. The Raleigh forks are very different

Drago

Legendary Member
Claud butler forks are close in appearance, being made on the same workbench in the same workshop as they were. The crown differs in apoearance, but not radically so, and theyr're probably more numerous than Holdsworth ones. Just a thought if you do get really stuck.

OP
OP
J

johnggold

Claud butler forks are close in appearance, being made on the same workbench in the same workshop as they were. The crown differs in apoearance, but not radically so, and theyr're probably more numerous than Holdsworth ones. Just a thought if you do get really stuck.
Thank you. That piece of info gives me another option.

Top Bottom