Holdsworth Bike Query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mmmike

Hello!

I've recently bought a Holdsworth bike that I'm trying to get some more information on. I'm a complete newbie to the cycling world and after looking at old eBay ads for info would say this bike is from the 80s? (Not sure whether that makes it right for the 'classics/vintage' section?).

It reads Holdsworth Professional on the frame. As far as I can tell the 531 frame is rather common for bikes of this age?

The bike is in good condition. A few minor marks to the under of the frame but generally pretty clean.

Any additional info/opinions you could provide would be useful. What sort of money is it worth before I think about spending money on fresh tyres?

Thanks
M

Attachments

• 20170219_163441.jpg
    20170219_163441.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 20170219_163438.jpg
    20170219_163438.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 95

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It looks quite 80s and yes, that puts it in classic/vintage, especially with downtube shifters and the like.

Look at the wheel hubs for two-digit date codes and if you've been looking at ebay ads (especially sold and completed ones), then you've more idea of its value than me :smile: I can two similar ones, one of which sold for £150 and the other for £80.

531 is common but that's because it's quite nice. How does it ride? If you like it, I'd say it's worth spending money. If they're 27x1¼" wheels (32-630), then Schwalbe HS-159 are pretty good for the money. :bicycle:

S-Express

Not the 80s - appears to be more like mid/late 90s. A pic from the other 'correct' side would help ID the groupset. 531 tubing if not common, is usually a sign of a decent build quality. Appears to have had very little use, if the rims are anything to go by.

OP
OP
M

Mmmike

Thanks a lot guys. I've actually not rode it yet as the tyres are a bit perished, although mechanically it looks very clean. I'll have a look at the wheels to see what date stamp is on there:smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The graphics are 'later' style than the typical Holdsworth lettering. Dual pivot brakes also suggest mid-90s onwards, although these may not be original..
Agreed.
Towards the end of the true Holdsworth era. The transfers are surface mounted plastic IIRC.
Having said that, being 531 (which kind by the way?) it will be a nice bike to ride.
Definately a keeper, but nothing special.
IF it was an original 70s campagnolo professional then it would be a different matter!
Nice, enjoy :-)

I have 3 Holdsworths...,

OP
OP
M

Mmmike

Agreed.
Towards the end of the true Holdsworth era. The transfers are surface mounted plastic IIRC.
Having said that, being 531 (which kind by the way?) it will be a nice bike to ride.
Definately a keeper, but nothing special.
IF it was an original 70s campagnolo professional then it would be a different matter!
Nice, enjoy :-)

I have 3 Holdsworths...,
Aweaome, thanks. Reynolds 531 Competition is on the frame. Will have a look for any more stickers later tonight

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Aweaome, thanks. Reynolds 531 Competition is on the frame. Will have a look for any more stickers later tonight
531c....very nice indeed!
There are some good sites for old Holdsworths. Classic Lightweights is one. I'll post a link or two later.

S-Express

I would go with mid 80's as the brakes look to be allen key variety so it could be a Professional model ?

I think we've already established it's a 'Professional' model, as the top tube has the word 'Professional' written on it. Dual pivot brakes did not appear until the early 90s. Holdsworth did not have that font style in the mid-80s. It looks early/mid 90s to me.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think we've already established it's a 'Professional' model, as the top tube has the word 'Professional' written on it. Dual pivot brakes did not appear until the early 90s. Holdsworth did not have that font style in the mid-80s. It looks early/mid 90s to me.

i must have missed that earlier post

midlife

Guru
Dual pivots were around before the 90's but didn't really catch on.... :smile:

9952CBF5-206B-4FBD-BB56-1AFCC6107ECA.jpe

638916117_a3066e1978.jpg

Shaun

Last edited:

S-Express

Maybe so, but the pic does not show Weinmann dual pivots though, it shows Shimano, which appeared in the early 90s..

Top Bottom