Holdsworth Criterium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Anyone near Newcastle who has an oxy acc torch and wants to help me remove my brazed on gear mounts? Thanks.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Anyone near Newcastle who has an oxy acc torch and wants to help me remove my brazed on gear mounts? Thanks.
Hacksaw and file would do or if your lucky someone will have a dremmel.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Whoa....steady! Way too hot. Just use a gas aerosol type blowtorch. Even the small chefs ones will do. Screw a long screw into the mount, grip with long handled grips and apply a twisting motion as you apply the heat to the mount

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Whoa....steady! Way too hot. Just use a gas aerosol type blowtorch. Even the small chefs ones will do. Screw a long screw into the mount, grip with long handled grips and apply a twisting motion as you apply the heat to the mount

The research I did stated that would not work and would need more heat. However I will take your word and buy a chef blowtorch. Thanks again for your help.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
@bromptonfb @smokeysmoo
I also read that this was an option to use a hacksaw and/or Dremmel. However I would be worried that I would catch the frame due to the precise work it would need. That being said if the torch does not work I will go down this option.

Last edited:
@bromptonfb @smokeysmoo
I also read that this was an option to use a hacksaw and/or Dremmel. However I would be worried that I would catch the frame due to the precise work it would need. That being said if the torch does not work I will go down this option.
The beauty of a Dremmel is you can be very precise. You can adjust the speed and fit different attachments to it. I wouldn't attempt to restore a bike without mine TBH.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I wouldn't even try with the torch, I'd be too worried about normalisation of the steel or even buckling if it has any stresses from the original build but I'm not an expert on bike building at all.

Personally I'd hacksaw somewhere near and then file or dremmel, smokey says he's done it already so he'll know more than me.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Beat me to it...:smile:

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
I will look into the dremel / junior hacksaw route more before deciding what to do due to the amount of people who have went down this route and got good results.

Top Bottom