Holdsworth frame numbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Scrimshaw

Started new thread on this subject in the hope or identifying more numbers. With a lot of help from Doug (CBguy) on frame identification I have updated the numbering charts seen on the original thread.

A summary of the various numbering systems used by Holdsworth is shown below with more details on Goggle Cloud. This is based on a growing number of frames found on line and information from other websites on the subject. The following are the systems that these numbers seem to fall into.

Pre-War.
Post war 5 Digit numbers and the continuation of this from 1965.
Early 60's 4 Digit numbers (1962-1964).
Shop numbers from 1965 with 1st 2 digits for the year.
Early 70's 4 Digit series (with leading zeros) including branded frames.
6 Digit System from 1976.

The predictions shown are based on the usage of Factory issued numbers and steady production of 1500 frames per year up to 1961 and 1200 frames per year from 1965 when the shop had its own system. 6 Digit numbers have and increasing yearly production up to 1985. The Framework graphs show how this fits around known fixed points in production and frames with good dates or documents to back up their dates.

There are issues with this mainly around shop frames and others that seem to have taken longer to progress through the factory. There are also a few that show up too early, for which I have no real explanation. I have show these on the graphs to indicate the level of accuracy that can be expected with this approach.

All other frames with less clear dating have then been added in where they would occur along with the original description in the Excel sheet. I would be interested in any frame numbers, particularly those with good dates. Hope this is of interest.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B62q1UtsrkVVWUZYSTNKZkN4TmM

OP
OP
Dave Scrimshaw

Dave Scrimshaw

OP
OP
Dave Scrimshaw

Dave Scrimshaw

Removed old copies of charts and added lattast here. Link to Excel database and graphs here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B62q1UtsrkVVWUZYSTNKZkN4TmM

Holdsworth Frame Numbers.PNG

tdarden

I bought a used Holdsworth in a market in Amsterdam in June, 1974. I rode it around Europe and brought it back to NC, CT, MA, and now back to NC. I have ridden it since then. I am curious about which model it is, and what year.

It has a serial number on the bottom bracket, punched with a die set, that appears to say 6224. If I understand the useful table showing serial numbers, this does not seem correct? It is possible that I am misreading the first digit.

It has something stamped on the flange of the right-side, rear wheel dropout lug. I believe it is letters, perhaps the name of the fitting maker? The paint covers it so it is impossible to read clearly.

It has a TA Specialties crank, Ideal seat, Campagnolo deraillers (rear is a Grand Turismo), Universal 61 center pull brakes, Bruenels Airweight (I think that's correct) aluminum fenders, Cinelli stem. It came with Weinmann clincher rims. The color is sky blue, with white highlights on the lugs. It has a decal on the downtube but it is pretty worn out.

If anyone has any information about this bike, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks very much.

AussieChick

Regular
Hi Dave. I’m trying to sell my Dads bike. It’s just been built and never ridden. All original apart from new tyres.
Doesn’t seem to be a market for it here in Australia, but willing to ship overseas o any buyer. Do you have any is on where I could advertise it in the UK? Thanks

Top Bottom