Holdsworth project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swifty

Über Member
This was the first frame I acquired found in a skip should I try to rebuild with campagnolo parts or re build with other parts which would fit the frame have some parts pedals crank handle bars brakes etc which were on it when it was found needs rear derailleur wheels and tyres would really like some help in choosing the right parts would really like to get this roadworthy for the record it's a 1974 holdsworth professional frame not sure about the size

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 119

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Where are all these skips full of bikes you guys all seem to find :rolleyes:

What are the parts you already have? I would be strongly tempted to go for Campagnolo, but the second line Gran Sport derailleur, Nuovo Tipo hubs, instead of Record as the premium for Record probably wasn't worth it when new and definitely isn't now, a lot of it was for extra polishing. Holdsworth were the agents for Campagnolo in the 70s. Rims and tyres I would get decent modern polished rims, probably sprints and tubs if it was for me, although I realise they aren't to everyones taste. Lightish tyres from Challenge with tan side walls would look right. http://www.challengetech.it/products/road/strada-bianca-037/en

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
another vote for sprint & tubs laced to some nice retro large flange hubs , thinking about it i have a pr of Zeus large flanged hubs lacad on to sprint rims that need a service and re aligning would look great on this kind of project :rolleyes:

stinaV8

Regular
Looks like a great project . As for the question where are all these skips full of old bikes and frames ? I second that , my Husband is a skip surfer but he only seems to bring me old washing lines and broken deck chairs ! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
From info I have managed to source my initial thoughts were that it had been bought as a frame only project as not much of the parts on it seemed to be original to the bike ava head stem lyo tard pedals unmarked handlebars universal 68 brakes Baylis wiley bottom bracket not sure if I will be able to afford all campag stuff but will have a look at the costs the frame is really nice

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
As a Holdsworth fan I approve!
What to do?
Well there are options, of course ....
Plan A: a complete restoration would be great, but you can get into the laws of diminishing returns finding the exact period parts, and let's face it some 70s stuff was not so great by today's standards,
Plan B: do a modern update, I saw my own 80s Holdsworth Elite rebuilt with Campag Athena and it looked a treat (Athena looks quite classic).
Plan C: do a mix and march of old and new .... Velo Orange for example do some great parts that look classic but with modern performance.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Quite like the idea of old and new some nice wheels and a decent derailleur and it will be ok if I sell it later someone else might want to do the full rebuild I would just like to say I've ridden one

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Am I right in thinking that I am looking for 700c wheels for the holdsworth or does it depend on the size of the frame

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
In 1974 would they have used a 27 x 1 1/4 wheel as I have a pair of these on my carlton would they fit sorry to keep asking stupid questions but money is a bit tight at moment due to impending daughters wedding

Good racing frames of that era were made for sprints and tubs, which are the same size as 700C with not too wide tyres. Why not try the front wheel from your Carlton? Although I have a sneaking suspicion what the result will be.

Top Bottom