Holdsworth restoration- colour change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aquanutt

Hi, first post on this forum! I am restoring a skip-found Holdsworth which I recon is around 1980, in pearl white, some nice bits on, just missing wheels. I am stripping the frame and re-chroming the forks and rear drop outs and chain stay tube due to heavy rust, but would love to change the colour- is this 'against the rules'?
I don't expect it to be a valuable bike (the Holdsworth badge is just a transfer and has no Reynolds Tube transfers, though I guess they are) once restored, just a good project to keep me busy over the winter and ride in good weather.

Other info- shop transfer is Tony Jackson cycles - Nelson, Lancs, it has a two ring Stronglight crank set, simplex gears, Weinman 408 brakes, 3ttt green suede saddle, 3ttt quill and cinelli bars, fork ends and drop outs and cable guides are stamped Campagnolo. All the alloy parts have cleaned up lovely, so just need to sort the paint and some wheels/tyres.

Any advice on paint or identification of model name etc would be very welcome.

Attachments

• DSCF8663.JPG
    DSCF8663.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCF8772.JPG
    DSCF8772.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCF8775.JPG
    DSCF8775.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCF8774.JPG
    DSCF8774.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 236

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
please do not re paint as it throws away a lot of the originality and life of a bike imho

oh and welcome aboard and what a great find @aquanutt

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
NO
Either clean it up and ride it or restore to original condition.

From first look ( I'll get a better look later) that looks like a better quality frame judging by the wrap around stays and the chrome.
There's quite a lot of Holdsworth info and fans (I have 2) out there to figure it out.

They are usually good bikes to ride and whilst their reputation is often better than what are often regular 531 frames there is nothing wrong with that. I have many bikes but the 80s Holdsworth is the only one that people stop me to talk about.

Also, they are being made again by Planet-X. So originals will be that much cooler!

I'll do some research later.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
That chrome will clean up nice. Sometimes it's just surface stuff from crud but if it has gone through the chrome you can still get it looking good especially if you maintain and clean it regularly.

Before you look at rechroming which is expensive try this.

1. Use Brillo pad (the soap filled ones) on rust parts. This should remove the majority. If doing it on paint work don't scrub too hard else you can scratch the paint. For paintwork I usually use wd40 and a green scouring pad.
2 on chrome use the Brillo pad water and tin foil over the rusty areas. This really works wonders and helps to flatten any raised areas which increases the shinyness.
3 polish with autosol (I have used cheaper stuff and it's nowhere near as good as).

Should take a couple of hours max to get it looking good and save lots of money trying to get it repainted.

Fab Foodie

Here you go, looking like late 70's early 80s vintage, this maybe?

83_ProFr.jpg

Or maybe here ...
TriathElanVS_85.jpg

Remember, many Holdsworth might have been custom jobs, particularly higher end ones. Chrome is an expensive upgrade too. Maybe the owner didn.t want the Reynolds Logo?

The best info you'll get on the web is here:

http://www.nkilgariff.com/

I have an '82s Elan right now as my main bike (I also have an 50s model in a parlous state), It's comfortable, fairly quick with lightweight wheels, climbs well, but can get a bit lairy over 40mpg on twisty descents (a longer stem is required which might help). My Giant TCR is more competent but nowhere near as fun to ride.
Here she is after a monsoon standard Friday night ride from L2B and back. Have proper corks in the bar ends now!

Holds after FNRttC May 2014.JPG

My own philosophy is to keep these bikes/frames going as much as possible in their original state. However, wheels wear/non existent as do drive trains. Old brakes were crap too. I personally think it's OK to replace bits to make it more useable and keep it running. Mine still has the original drive train, but replaced wheels and brakes.

I think you have found a beautiful bike and am rather envious!

Regarding wheels, if you want something classic, modern silver hubs and nice style rims would be peachy and that's what my Elan will get in time.
These in Silver:
http://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/rims/700c-rims/h-plus-son-tb14/
Basic Hubs
http://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/hubs/f272sb/
Sexier hubs:
http://freshtripe.co.uk/Freshtripe/Wheels & Tyres_files/VO High_low_hubset-3.jpg

If you're looking for a retro style restore ... be careful with the Velo Orange site!

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Leave the frame as is.

midlife

Guru
Damn that's such a nice frame...........trademark Pro chunky wrapover stays and chrome. Due to the cost of chrome in those days they only chromed the good ones.........Late 70's or very early 80's with the over BB guides.

It's the publics version of their pro model at the time. The one's that Phil Bayton rode had less chrome and a big "H" on the seat stay.....

Pro_Frames78.jpg

Best just to clean it and bask in the glow of an original very smart Frame :smile:

Shaun

Fab Foodie

Damn that's such a nice frame...........trademark Pro chunky wrapover stays and chrome. Due to the cost of chrome in those days they only chromed the good ones.........Late 70's or very early 80's with the over BB guides.

It's the publics version of their pro model at the time. The one's that Phil Bayton rode had less chrome and a big "H" on the seat stay.....

Pro_Frames78.jpg

Best just to clean it and bask in the glow of an original very smart Frame :smile:

Shaun
Well spotted! Not only the wrap around stays but the pips on the chainstay too. Lucky barsteward!

Creakycrank

Wow you found that in a skip, that's a lucky find! if you intend to keep it and ride it, I don't suppose it matters what colour you decide to go with, its yours, but white, black and chrome with shining alloy parts is a timeless look, if it was me, it would get black bar tape and a black seat, as it can look a bit top heavy all the same colour, and white is just the worst grip/seat colour, it looks lousy in no time. Do put the decals back on, a freshly painted frame is nice but looks finished with the correct markings.

AndrewDeKerf

Hi. A bit late maybe but just wondering if you had an under bracket cable guide on your Elan? Mine is missing and so is the anticipated M3 hole!

Top Bottom