Holdsworth special circa 1981

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The color is similar. The brake bridge on mine has a brazed on piece that attached to the bridge fore and aft, but your looks like someone may have removed one, since that area is rustier than the rest of the bridge. Mine has a pair of cable guides brazed on just above the BB that I thought I could see on yours as well. My water bottle bolt mounts are in the same location as yours, from what I can see. Mine is original and I have the paperwork from when it was purchased by the guy whose estate sale sold me the bike. I can't speak to yours, but if the frame is sound and you can remove the BB and seat post I think you will find it a sweet ride.
There's a cable guide visible on the underside on the left hand side of the second picture in post 14. Can't see any above the bottom bracket though.

Dave Scrimshaw

Yes, this frame has been hacked about, all lugs removed to make a fixie. All that left on the BB is the trianglar mount for the from gear change cable guide. Rear hanger, all cable guides and mudguard eyes have gone. I am not sure that the brake bridge boss has been removed, no eveidence for that like the other bosses, their foot prints can be seen under the paint. I think this boss appeared on the frames in early 80's and I am assuming mine was one of the last without them. It would be good to confirm, all I have to go on is pictures of frames.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Hey @12boy , that looks identical to my Special from the early 80s. Mine has the rear brake 'boss' mentioned by @Dave Scrimshaw, and the same band-on shifters on the downtube. I don't recall any 'Special' lettering on the toptube, but that area is covered by a sportive sticker on my frame so I can't easily check.

For what it's worth I love the frame and it seems to be a competent performer that I have no current intention of replacing. I use it on my daily commute, leisure rides, occasional charity rides and "Friday Night Rides to the Coast", plus it scored my one and only Strava KoM on an offroad woodland track (long since lost).

My only complaint would be an alarming shimmy on some fast descents, but that goes away when I shift my weight.
EDITED to add... Don't all bikes do that?

Last edited:

Dave Scrimshaw

Been on line looking for pictures of rear brake bridges and I have to conclude late 70's do not have the boss or a number of other cable guides, but by early 80's all this was added. I guess mine was from the change over point and got all but the bridge.

Last edited:

Dave Scrimshaw

Two specials from late 70's

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
This isn't a frame thing but rather the stock wheels which have Phil hubs, and spin very easily but seem to have a little slop. They have no apparent way to tighten the hubs to remove that. Anyone familiar with this issue and have a fix?

Top Bottom