Holdsworth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Warny

Über Member
Afternoon all,

Managed to pick up one a couple of weeks ago, don't know too much about the history but it's interesting finding this out. Mine seems to date from 1974, any thoughts much appreciated:-) 531 forks (I guess frame too?), Simplex shifters, Compe-V derailleur at the front and Campagnolo stuff at the back. I love the tiny rack at the back, not seen one like that before!

Mark 006.JPG 001.JPG 006.JPG 001.JPG 009.JPG

midlife

Guru
The only frame i can think of with Reynolds tubes and pressed dropouts was the early 1970's Record ?

Shaun

Drago

Legendary Member
Tidy bike. The rack will be there to support a traditional saddlebag, stop it from drooping like Eric Pickles chins.

Throughout the 70's and early 80's Holdsworth's were produced in a fair volume, though I'm not brainy enough to identify your particular model.

By then Holdsworth had a parent firm, Holdwsworthy (originial name, eh) set up by Holdwsorths to acquire and manufacture other brands. For example, higher end Holdsworthy era Claud Butlers were simply Holdsworth frames with different paint and livery.

The set up was much like Raleigh in that sense, albeit much smaller scale and higher quality.

Yours looks quite tidy and presentable. A good strip, clean and service and that should make a very pleasant riding bike that will belie the 45 years itnhas under its belt.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice, and a good size too, I'm assuming you're quite tall.

Remember those shorty mudguards, de rigueur for any lad with sporty aspirations back then, totally useless though.

Would have thought that rear derailleur was much earlier than '74.

I have got a Holdsworth Record from 1971 and thought it looked similar. The Record came with Campagnolo gears and hubs which were quick release plus transfers everywhere. Weinmann centre pull brakes with hooded levers, GB alloy stem and handlebars, Brooks leather saddle. I think the frame and tubes were Reynolds 531 plain gauge .

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Morning all,

Thanks for your posts, sounds like mine might well be a Holdsworth Record then. I think it may be worth hanging onto/doing up although I have got it for sale at the moment. I didn't really have an idea of how much to ask but I guess the parts alone are worth a bit. I also have a Peugeot which is in better nick which I use every day and was going to keep. Decisions, decisions:-)

Mark 053.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Morning all,

Thanks for your posts, sounds like mine might well be a Holdsworth Record then. I think it may be worth hanging onto/doing up although I have got it for sale at the moment. I didn't really have an idea of how much to ask but I guess the parts alone are worth a bit. I also have a Peugeot which is in better nick which I use every day and was going to keep. Decisions, decisions:-)

Mark View attachment 348361

keep both

Goldie

Über Member
Hope you're still out there Warny! Have a look at the 10 speed Equipe from Holdsworth's 1972 catalogue - I think that might be your bike: http://www.nkilgariff.com/HoldsCats/Cat1972/Equipe72.htm. According to Norman Kilgariff's brilliant Holdsworth website, "...The Equipe appears in the 1969 Catalogue. It has plain gauge Reynolds tubing, Prugnat lugs and 105cm wheelbase. It was available in orange with blue panels, blue with orange panels or silver with white panels in 1972, although the brochures imply team colours only. The 10sp Tourer had a wider gear range using 40/48 rings with 14 to 26 freewheel. Full length plastic mudguards and a rear pannier.".

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Hi all,

Thanks for your advice and replies on the Holdsworth, someone did take it off my hands and I've spotted it a couple of times since in Cambridge. My recent purchase is a Falcon Cotswold which is a bit of a mix of original and recent components but I quite like it. Sachs-Huret gear levers date the bike at 1987, it has 531 frame, Weinmann brakes, decent mudguards and an alloy pannier rack. Will take some pics and post them soon, does anyone else have this Falcon model?

Top Bottom