Holdsworth,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Some of you may remember that about 6 or 7 years ago I posted some pictures of a Holdsworth owned by a client to get an estimate of value.
Well a couple of weeks ago she called me and as the shed it was in is being dismantled she gave it to me.
As you'll see it is now a fixed / single speed with the chainring on the left. I think it's from 1953 but don't know which model or what equipment it would have had originally.
Any help along those lines or any other info would be appreciated. 608539

23" frame.

OP
OP
Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.

Brummie53

I was also intrigued to see the crank on the left when any bike I’ve ever owned has ( like most other people’s) been on the right . Is there a reason why cranks are on the right or is it just the way it’s always been?

Sharky

Guru
I was also intrigued to see the crank on the left when any bike I’ve ever owned has ( like most other people’s) been on the right . Is there a reason why cranks are on the right or is it just the way it’s always been?
Convention, but to turn a freewheel, it needs to be turned clockwise. So unless it's a special freewheel, I can't see it working.

There was a track pursuit team recently that had their chainrings on the left for some reason to do with banked tracks. But their fixed hubs must have been specials?

All uphill

Still rolling along
I knew someone who set up their fixie with drive on the left side just " because I can".
I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice.:cursing:

Drago

Legendary Member
Thats like drawing a goatee on the Mona Lisa.

carpenter

Über Member
Just got me thinking - could be complete b******ks, it is Friday night after all :stop:

But just as some people are left handed, I guess that some are left leg dominant. Would there be any benefit for a left leg dominant person to have the crank on the left side ?

Top Bottom