Holiday Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I'm going to Japan end July/early August next year. Japan is a country I've always wanted to visit. I'm planning to go to Tokyo and Kyoto.

Does anyone, who's been there, have any advice/tips/what to see and do?

Thanks.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cycle up Mount Fuji!

Never been, but I'm told its a bike ride you'll never forget.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm going to Japan end July/early August next year. Japan is a country I've always wanted to visit. I'm planning to go to Tokyo and Kyoto.

Does anyone, who's been there, have any advice/tips/what to see and do?

Thanks.
It's been a while now (errm, 35 years actually but seems like yesterday) when I was a navigating officer cadet in the merchant navy. First trip, I was on a ship on the Gulf/Japan run, and we spent two spells of about a month each in Japan. Yokohama, Kobe, Nagoya, and a few other ports I can't remember.
I loved Japan. People were very friendly and polite, none of the aggressive selfishness which were obvious in Europe, even back then.
We used to go on cultural trips at company expense to visit ancient Buddhist temples, get blootered on sakhi and sapporo beer, visit the extremely expensive "hostess" bars, then head back to the ship in time for work!

Highlights were the bullet train; seeing the Stranglers live in Osaka; the Sapporo beer hall in Tokyo; noodles; the Motomachi in Yokohama at night; feeling safe wherever you went at any time of the day or night; the Japanese people and their culture.

U

User33236

I was in Tokyo a little under 5 years ago and found the locals the most polite and helpful people I have met on my travels.

If you are the sort of traveller that takes medicines with you, such as cold / flu treatments, check that they do not contain substances that are illegal in Japan. Also do not blow your nose in public as that can cause offence. Tipping is another no-no. You pay the cost for the service and nothing else.

I found getting around really easy, the best part being they really don't like folk using mobile phones on public transport. Reliability of their public transport put us to shame, but then so does a lot of Europe :-)

Mount Fuji and the bullet train back to Tokyo were great and I'd recommend it. If you are into gadgets then get down to Akihabara for a browse and some shopping. I bought a Sony camera when I was out there. In a lot of cases the models you see out are for the Japanese market only and you have to go to another desk to purchase the export version. They staple a receipt into your passport that is removed by customs at the airport.

Top Bottom