Holiday insurance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Don't skimp!

On the first day of a two week holiday in Cuba, one of our tour group looked the wrong way crossing the Malecon in Havana.

Stepping in front of a car doing 30-40mph is a very bad idea.

She was scooped up by friendly locals after summersaulting over the car and landing on the road behind and sent to hospital in the back of a taxi. (sic)

Fractured tib and fib, femur, pelvis and elbow. Plus head trauma

Great service in Hospital, including 8 hour operation to deal with fractures.

That was a month ago.

She flies home tomorrow in an air ambulance.

Do not ever EVER skimp on holiday insurance.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Absolutely right.
I always have repatriation on my medical insurance and it includes my bike.

You may think you will never need insurance. I haven't. But you are really screwed when you do and do not have it.

tom73

Guru
Totally my mum's partner died on holiday. They had insurance so she was able to bring him home. The rep in the hotel who was great she'd only been in the job a few months. This was her second death the 1st one they did not have any and it cost the family £1000's to sort out.
As my neighbour who was a landlord and has seen, heard a fair few stories over the years. Say's it's got to happen to somebody.

Julia9054

Guru
I have bought holiday insurance for the first time this year. Had a bit of a scare last year when Al ended up in A&E in France. Didn't cost anything due to the wonderful EHIC card but got me thinking about how it could have been worse.
My advice is to read the small print. We have 2 holidays booked this year - one cycle touring and one self guided walking at height in the Alps. Turns out neither activity is covered on regular bog standard travel insurance policies. We have had to take out special sports travel insurance.
Another tip is to have your bikes covered elsewhere. Normal travel insurance policies usually don't have a single item limit high enough to cover the theft of a half decent bike.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Don't skimp!

On the first day of a two week holiday in Cuba, one of our tour group looked the wrong way crossing the Malecon in Havana.

Stepping in front of a car doing 30-40mph is a very bad idea.

She was scooped up by friendly locals after summersaulting over the car and landing on the road behind and sent to hospital in the back of a taxi. (sic)

Fractured tib and fib, femur, pelvis and elbow. Plus head trauma

Great service in Hospital, including 8 hour operation to deal with fractures.

That was a month ago.

She flies home tomorrow in an air ambulance.

Do not ever EVER skimp on holiday insurance.
I fully agree with you. It amazes me that paople can spend eg £2K on a holiday and skimp on insurance.

Kernow_T

Über Member
Hi. I'm desperately after someone to tell me exactly what the best policy is to protect against cancellation of holiday, by the travel company (or constituent parts if flight/hotel booked separately) prior to departure directly related to Coronavirus. What are the key words I'm looking for? Many thanks in advance

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi. I'm desperately after someone to tell me exactly what the best policy is to protect against cancellation of holiday, by the travel company (or constituent parts if flight/hotel booked separately) prior to departure directly related to Coronavirus. What are the key words I'm looking for? Many thanks in advance
This might give you some info, a big travel insurance provider
https://www.columbusdirect.com/travel/help/coronavirus-faqs/

The rules will be different if you are sick or if the FCO advise against travel other than essential for example

As ever, obviously check the policy limits and excess.
Where are you going?

Kernow_T

Über Member
This might give you some info, a big travel insurance provider
https://www.columbusdirect.com/travel/help/coronavirus-faqs/

The rules will be different if you are sick or if the FCO advise against travel other than essential for example

As ever, obviously check the policy limits and excess.
Where are you going?
Looking to get an annual policy as Iberia/Canaries cruise Nov and poss Turkey June. Mine is more to do with company cancelling flight or hotel cancelling accomodation citing Coronavirus as the determining factor. Thanks I'll have a look

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It really hurts financially, but it's the one type of insurance that I think is worth having. You might risk not having it elsewhere, but if you fall into the clutches of the North American medical industry, you are well and truly shafted. Oddly enough, medical treatment in Cuba is extremely good and very reasonably priced.
I'm glad the lady in question is doing well.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Travel insurance is highly recommended. It saved me a fair few quid when i had some "bad luck" up a mountain. Took several ambulances, one hospital, one general anaesthetic, several days recovery and a medical repatriation flight from an airport in an adjacent country to get me home.
Having produced the insurance forms, i wasn't charged a penny.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
It really hurts financially, but it's the one type of insurance that I think is worth having. You might risk not having it elsewhere, but if you fall into the clutches of the North American medical industry, you are well and truly shafted. Oddly enough, medical treatment in Cuba is extremely good and very reasonably priced.
I'm glad the lady in question is doing well.

Very reasonably priced, helped by the fact that the best paid Doctors wages are around $80per month. (Equivalent)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unfortunately, we've used Insurance a few times on holidays. A child with Chicken Pox - I had to stay an extra week with my son, then the issues with the Icelandic Volcano. Annual Policy isn't too expensive for 4, and it covers us in the UK if away for a few days.

Top Bottom