Holidays - The Azores or Italy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Speicher said:
What would be the best time of year for that - balancing reasonable weather, but not too crowded?

June and July would be the best times to visit. There's tons to do and see; great for cycling, sailing, kayaking, camping, hill-walking, golf (:biggrin:; and that applies to most parts of the country.
Southern Sweden (esp. Österlen) is beautiful and best described (by me :biggrin:) as a cross between Tuscany and the Cotswolds (oh, and the blurb says Denmark!).

http://www.tomelilla.se/index.php?option=content;task=view;id=130;Itemid=158

http://www.tomelilla.se/index.php?option=content;task=view;id=130;Itemid=158

PS Hannibal Lechter :biggrin:
(EM)

Blue

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
venice has to be seen to be believed. siena and lucca in tuscany are very nice too (you can ride a bike around the top of the city walls in lucca, if you can find one with brakes that work that is).

I'd second this.

Did a tour of Italy on my honeymoon a couple of months ago and it was magical.

domtyler

Über Member
Speicher, what happened to those wild weeks of non stop partying and topless sunbathing in Ibiza? I thought you were more about Acid House parties not Acid Indigestion. What happened?

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
domtyler said:
Speicher, what happened to those wild weeks of non stop partying and topless sunbathing in Ibiza? I thought you were more about Acid House parties not Acid Indigestion. What happened?

Just because I thought I had imported some foreign air * in tin containers showing the wrong time in the middle of the Atlantic, that distorted the space time continuum, this does not mean that I have been imbibing unorthodox substances. I can be quite, quite mad:biggrin:;), without much external assistance,:biggrin::ohmy::blush::biggrin:

* I might recalculate the amount of foreign air involved, 25,000 cubic centimetres is actually only half a cubic metre - sounds a lot less in that conmesurated quantifiable whatnot.:biggrin:

Also, my travels around the world, Argentina, Ireland, Greece and 1980's Germany (in the same week) ;)came to a close last Saturday. One of the threads had a link to a Disposal Site, where someone is trying to sell a single tractor tug boat. I have got a Captain, just waiting for him to return from South America, then I will try and buy the tug. Is there a possibility that a man can return from Rio de Janeiro with a Brazilian?:biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
One of the threads had a link to a Disposal Site, where someone is trying to sell a single tractor tug boat. I have got a Captain, just waiting for him to return from South America, then I will try and buy the tug. Is there a possibility that a man can return from Rio de Janeiro with a Brazilian?:biggrin:
There's a coincidence, I just came across this
http://www.voithturbo.com/545950.htm
this evening, have fun:biggrin:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
snorri said:
There's a coincidence, I just came across this
http://www.voithturbo.com/545950.htm
this evening, have fun:biggrin:

Thank you Snorri, ever so much, that's brilliant. I wondered what the captain was doing as he fiddled with his joy stick when manoevering into port. :biggrin: Passengers were allowed on to the bridge, but as it was cool and very windly, not many did. I did not think it wise to ask questions of the captain when he was delicately manoevering a large boat, and guiding the crew with regard to ropes etc.

As further coincidence, I came across a very small boat - length 7cm, breadth 4cm, yes, not really in proportion I know. This boat has a wind-up mechanism (and a propeller) and goes in the bath:smile:. I bought myself one, and nearly bought the helicopter as well. (who's a big kid)

Also for many years I have been looking for that saying of Confucious, I hear, I see, I do etc and it was on the same link.

I have always been wary downloading games from websites. What is the chances of acquiring a virus? I expect this works much more responsively and quickly once downloaded. Thanks again, that is great.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
snorri said:
:biggrin::biggrin: I'm glad you liked it, is your preference for Steering wheel or Joystick control:?::biggrin:

Isn't it called the Helm?

From my experience with a Swedish Captain on board a converted steam ship in Sweden, it depends on the location. as to who should take control of the helm. If we were progressing happily along in open, calm sea, enjoying the scenery, I would like to take control under the Captain and his supervision. The Captain would be navigating and I would not be permitted to interfere with any of his sensitive equipment. When we got closer to our destination I would prefer the Captain to take control. This is because he has strong hands and extensive experience of delicately manouevring, using the joystick to achieve an excellent performance of docking. Immediately before docking, and during docking, it is necessary to pay close attention to position, speed and progress. Afterwards we would be able to relax, in the knowledge that we worked well together as a team. and would look forward to repeating the experience on leaving port.

snorri

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
Isn't it called the Helm?

I was quoting from the website;)

Good to hear of your fine sense of teamwork with the Captain, but as you say the captain only tends to be truly active during docking and sailing. In the event of boredom setting in en voyage, I would recommend an engine room visit. The engine room routine is particularly fascinating on a steam ship where the engineers ensure regular stoking right around the clock;):biggrin:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I consulted the website of the Converted Steam ship to find out the date of its conversion to diesel: 1965.

Although steam driven pistons delivered a solid performance, it occasionnally ceased operations altogether, and after repair, it required many hours to return to optimum performance levels.

The ship now has two diesel engines. One of which keeps going all night to provide the passengers with the service they expect -warmth, illumination etc. During the voyage if one engine fails, the other one can keep the boat running smoothly, but at a slower rate of progress.

The captain has two joy sticks at his disposal, possibly three. There is one each side of the ship, slightly forward of, and outside the bridge. This facilitates a smoother, more accurate docking procedure.

I was unable to take many photos of the Captain (looking incredibly smart) in his full naval uniform, because in his words it made him feel "stiff and very restricted" in a collar and tie. He was more usually seen in a fleece with an open neck. He mentionned that one of his ways of keeping fit was to swim for one hour twice a week. I neglected to ask him if that was breast stroke or back stroke. :blush:

Top Bottom