Holidays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wurly

I'm thinking about taking a week off, loading up the bikes, getting in the car and trundleling off somewhere in the UK. But where?

I live in the southwest but was thinking somewhere further up the country. I very rarely head up north and don't really get a chance to explore an area.

I figured, stay in a B&B or Hotel and head off on the bikes and return the same day, do the same thing the next day, but in a different direction.

Looking for idea's and recommendations really. Where is your favourite cycling area?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, the area I know best is around York - plenty of choice - flat in some directions, hilly in others.

I was in the Herefordshire/Shropshire area last week, that looked lovely, and two weeks before that, the Suffolk/Essex border, also very pretty and rolling.

Stayed in Presteigne last week - very nice little town with lots of cafes and a few pubs. Eat at the the Royal Oak....

Noodley

The best place for northern cycling is in the proper north....Sutherland and Caithness. Well worth the exrta effort....but if you want to make a bit more effort without going 'far north' what about looking at Tayside? Only a few more hours beyond the border and a huge range of things to do.

OP
OP
wurly

wurly

Before someone says Shetland Islands, i mean't southern north.
York area sounds good, never been before and do-able, eg not a long drive.

snorri

Legendary Member
Good to see you around Noodley, makes you wonder how we ever survived before these midgie proof bunkers were invented.:smile:

ASC1951

Guru
wurly said:
York area sounds good, never been before and do-able, eg not a long drive.
It depends what sort of riding you want, but personally I would base myself somewhere slightly west of York to give easier access to the Dales: Ripon, say, or Wetherby.

Let us know where you decide to go and there will always be people on here to recommend specific hotels, BBs and routes.

OP
OP
wurly

wurly

Thanks for the replies.
Yorkshire dales is looking favourite at the moment. I found some well documented circular rides between 30 and 50 miles. A bit hilly (of course), but i think we can cope? North Yorkshire Moors area, i am looking into now.
Any more contenders?

Not keen on taking the train TBH, sounds more like an adventure.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Depending on the weather I'd roughly follow the mid-Wales train route stopping overnight at different locations and then pop over to Betws y coed/Swallow Falls followed by an R & R stop in Llandudno.

Top Bottom