Holland/Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mullerstraße

Über Member
Hi,

In September I have some time off work and will be cycling around Holland/Germany. I have 15 days for cycling and my rough plan is to start in Rotterdam and work my way down to Munich (passing Arnhem, Dusseldorf, Mainz, Ausuburg, amongst others) and then head north to Berlin.

I just wondered if anyone has experience of a similar type route and can recommend any places to visit/pass through and routes/roads to avoid?

Thanks,
David

It sounds like you'll be following the Rhine/Neckar route. If that's the case you'll be passing my town.

Recommendations depend what you want to see and how far you are prepared to go to see them. Are you interested in Cities, museums, scenery, routes?

OP
OP
Mullerstraße

Mullerstraße

Über Member
It sounds like you'll be following the Rhine/Neckar route. If that's the case you'll be passing my town.

Recommendations depend what you want to see and how far you are prepared to go to see them. Are you interested in Cities, museums, scenery, routes?

I enjoy visiting cities so that when I arrive in a destination I can go exploring, visit a museum, etc - and get a well earned beer in the evening!

Wow!
That's a lot of kms in 15 days. It's about 100 km every day. Seems to me you'll be either flying on the bike or flying through the places you visit. Rotterdam to Munich is easy - pretty much follow the Rhine until you want to turn off. Augsburg is on the RomantischStrasse (tourist route), but that doesn't lead to Munich. Up to that point there's no problem camping. Lots of campsites. Can't speak for the northern leg to Berlin.

I'd say to anybody planning to travel on the well known cycle routes such as the Rhine to be conservative with your speed estimates. Sometimes these paths can be quite busy. Especially on sunny days at the weekend. Never mind the various beer & food sellers along the way! :-)

If you're happy to zip through places on your way, then fire ahead with your plans. If you'd prefer to stop, explore & soak up the atmosphere of these places, then I'd seriously consider just the Rotterdam to Munich leg.

OP
OP
Mullerstraße

Mullerstraße

Über Member
I have put together the outline of a route - not the most direct as I wanted to de-tour to a few towns/cities.

Amsterdam - Arnhem 63m
Arnhem - Dusseldforf - 75m
Dusseldorf - Neuwied - 72m
Neuwied - Mainz 70m
Mainz - Frankfurt 26m
Frankfurt - Bad Mergentheim 83m
Bad Mergentheim - Nordlingen 66m
Nordlingen - Ausburg 47m
Auburg - Munich 44m
Munich - Regensburg 84m
Regensburg - Mittereich 80m
Mittereich - Meerane - 85m
Meerane - Leipzig 40m
Leipzig - Potsdam - 90m
Potsdam - Berlin 20m

Just a draft route at the moment - interesting to see if anyone has any experiences or better ideas?

Thanks

Douggie954

Last year me and my brother cycled through Holland and Germany to where we were based in the army in the 80's. This was our route:
Bedford - Minden return

Day 1 Bedford to Braintree 61.8m 2231ft

Day 2 Braintree to Harwich 41.8m 1302ft

Day 3 Hook to Utrecht 56.4m 1010ft

Day 4 Utrecht to Dieren via Arnhem 50.5m 1634ft

Day 5 Dieren to Mesum 74.3m 1436ft

Day 6 Mesum to Minden 70.2m 2095ft

Day 7 Minden to Lunne 74.1m 1717ft

Day 8 Lunne to Zwolle 68.4m 1590ft

Day 9 Zwolle to Amsterdam 67.8m 1232ft

Day 10 Amsterdam to Hook 48m 948ft

Day 11 Harwich to Bedford 101.1m 3484ft
All of the places we stayed were nice but I liked Utrecht, Dieren, Lunne and Zwolle. I found quite a bit of the cycling in Holland was slightly dull as it was long flat stretches. We normally have a fair bit more up and down on our summer tours. However, I'm sure you will enjoy whichever route you go.

OP
OP
Mullerstraße

Mullerstraße

Über Member
Last year me and my brother cycled through Holland and Germany to where we were based in the army in the 80's. This was our route:
Bedford - Minden return

Day 1 Bedford to Braintree 61.8m 2231ft

Day 2 Braintree to Harwich 41.8m 1302ft

Day 3 Hook to Utrecht 56.4m 1010ft

Day 4 Utrecht to Dieren via Arnhem 50.5m 1634ft

Day 5 Dieren to Mesum 74.3m 1436ft

Day 6 Mesum to Minden 70.2m 2095ft

Day 7 Minden to Lunne 74.1m 1717ft

Day 8 Lunne to Zwolle 68.4m 1590ft

Day 9 Zwolle to Amsterdam 67.8m 1232ft

Day 10 Amsterdam to Hook 48m 948ft

Day 11 Harwich to Bedford 101.1m 3484ft
All of the places we stayed were nice but I liked Utrecht, Dieren, Lunne and Zwolle. I found quite a bit of the cycling in Holland was slightly dull as it was long flat stretches. We normally have a fair bit more up and down on our summer tours. However, I'm sure you will enjoy whichever route you go.

Excellent route - I have been to Zwolle before on my cycle trips through Holland and also really enjoyed it, lovely place.

Top Bottom