FNRttC The latest news on The Fridays Vi(v)a Colonia Tour......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Here's a thread for the latest news on our Tour for anyone interested. Having it here should make it easier for participants to post and observers to er, observe.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Last night...
IMG_20160906_191611007.jpg

...since when I've realised that I didn't pack my civvy trousers and will need to get them into the saddlebag tonight.

(I'm not usually this organised, but since my new handlebar bag turned up yesterday I wanted to get ahead of the game.)

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
haven't even cleaned the bike after the last Tour in September, need to take it for a spin, and pack everything. I'm thinking cycling shorts (1pr), civvy shorts (1 pr), a few thin tops, pink bow tie for evening wear, obvs. Warm jacket for evenings to pub. Little more. I find the trick is to take two panniers, and one is full of stuff you need, then other is the stuff you don't need.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I personally feel that, as far as evening wear goes, a cravat marks an English gentleman out as such better than a bow tie.
Following your splendid example I have purchased a cravat for fewer than two of Her Majesty's sovs on eBay. Alas it is spotted blue and I fear might clash with the blue and white chequered shirt, thus opening myself to ribaldry from your good self.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Please to be checking that the tyres are in good condition, and the cables are not rusted solid.
Additionally, a rack that isn't broken would be preferable.
Guilty as charged, m'lud. Will do better this time honest.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Haven't done any packing yet. Will do most of mine in the morning, leaving Friday morning for faffing...

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I'm already packed save for a few last minute odds and ends that are ready to go into the bag. I think Helen is in the same position except that her bike and bags aren't in the same location.
Pre Tour bike fettling has involved a new set of chain rings, a chain and cassette and different pedals for me. Helen has had a new front wheel and new brake blocks.
We set off tomorow for Urmston station thence Manchester Piccadilly, Hull Paragon and the Hull Wetherspoons that the FNRttC has frequented.
After that it's the o/n ferry to Rotterdam, a short pedal round to Hook (involving another ferry) and a night there. We're hoping to find some decent sea food in the evening.
We join the Tour proper on Saturday morning :okay:.
Safe travels everyone.

rvw

Guru
I'm mostly packed. Having stuffed things not quite at random into the two panniers, trying (but not very hard) to get them vaguely balanced, I weighed them last night. One is 3.71kg and the other 3.72kg!

This will of course be completely scuppered when I add a lock to one. And I have to resist the urge to fill up all that nice empty space with More Stuff.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Final bike choice. I thought I was decided and would take the Surly Disk Trucker. I now find myself thinking "take the Dutch bike, it would be a laugh". The problem is, it wouldn't be a laugh if I had to change a rear puncture or similar.
At the risk of becoming accy cyclist, any thoughts?
Surly, definitely.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
We're just coming into Leeds on the 3rd and final train of the day. Current thoughts are focused on what we're going to eat in Wetherspoons.
We managed to avoid the torrential rain in MCR and the sun is shining now.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Having gone to the trouble of buying a Dutch bike and given that we'll be riding though a land where a Dutch bike would be the natural thing to ride, it would be silly not to. And anyone who thinks Dutch bikes are slow hasn't been to the Netherlands.

Top Bottom