FNRttC The latest news on The Fridays Vi(v)a Colonia Tour......

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by mmmmartin, 7 Sep 2016.

1. mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

Here's a thread for the latest news on our Tour for anyone interested. Having it here should make it easier for participants to post and observers to er, observe.

2. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Last night...
    IMG_20160906_191611007.jpg
    ...since when I've realised that I didn't pack my civvy trousers and will need to get them into the saddlebag tonight.

(I'm not usually this organised, but since my new handlebar bag turned up yesterday I wanted to get ahead of the game.)

3. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

haven't even cleaned the bike after the last Tour in September, need to take it for a spin, and pack everything. I'm thinking cycling shorts (1pr), civvy shorts (1 pr), a few thin tops, pink bow tie for evening wear, obvs. Warm jacket for evenings to pub. Little more. I find the trick is to take two panniers, and one is full of stuff you need, then other is the stuff you don't need.

4. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

I think three pairs of shorts is the best number: one to wear, one to wash, and a spare pair in case the washing doesn't dry overnight.

5. dellzeqq

dellzeqq pre-talced and mighty

neither are much of a substitute for shorts, but the bow tie would be novel...

swansonj and mmmmartin like this.
  6. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Wishing you all a splendiferous time. I shan't return to this thread due to extreme bouts of envy ....

7. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

Following your splendid example I have purchased a cravat for fewer than two of Her Majesty's sovs on eBay. Alas it is spotted blue and I fear might clash with the blue and white chequered shirt, thus opening myself to ribaldry from your good self.

Shadow likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

Guilty as charged, m'lud. Will do better this time honest.

9. Shadow

Shadow Veteran

Umm, sartorial error or new faddish trend?.....

10. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

Haven't done any packing yet. Will do most of mine in the morning, leaving Friday morning for faffing...

11. Andrew Br

Andrew Br Still part of the team !

I'm already packed save for a few last minute odds and ends that are ready to go into the bag. I think Helen is in the same position except that her bike and bags aren't in the same location.
    Pre Tour bike fettling has involved a new set of chain rings, a chain and cassette and different pedals for me. Helen has had a new front wheel and new brake blocks.
    We set off tomorow for Urmston station thence Manchester Piccadilly, Hull Paragon and the Hull Wetherspoons that the FNRttC has frequented.
    After that it's the o/n ferry to Rotterdam, a short pedal round to Hook (involving another ferry) and a night there. We're hoping to find some decent sea food in the evening.
    We join the Tour proper on Saturday morning :okay:.
    Safe travels everyone.

StuAff and User1252 like this.
  12. dellzeqq

dellzeqq pre-talced and mighty

13. rvw

rvw Über Member

I'm mostly packed. Having stuffed things not quite at random into the two panniers, trying (but not very hard) to get them vaguely balanced, I weighed them last night. One is 3.71kg and the other 3.72kg!

This will of course be completely scuppered when I add a lock to one. And I have to resist the urge to fill up all that nice empty space with More Stuff.

mmmmartin and srw like this.
  14. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

Surly, definitely.

15. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

Yeah, but which bike should he take?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice