1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FNRttC The latest news on The Fridays Vi(v)a Colonia Tour......

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by mmmmartin, 7 Sep 2016.

1. StuartG

StuartG slower but further

SE London
    Wrong. It was very, very good.
    ianmac62, redfalo and Gordon P like this.
  2. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

One man's good, another's very good, and another's very very good might be exactly the same thing.
    AKA Bob and Gordon P like this.
  3. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Oof. As some of you may have noticed, I found that tough. Tougher than expected. A lot of that was the blast of sub-tropical heat, a lot of it was the spare tractor tyre that appears to have reappeared around my middle, a lot was the lack of saddle time I've enjoyed over the last year or so. Some was also down to my trouble working out how much I should eat - my strongest day by far was the day I had a smallish breakfast and a smallish lunch. And some was my inability to read, mark, learn and inwardly digest numbers which indicate distance. This reputation I have for being highly numerate is really unfair.....

We made good use of good-quality Belgian railways, for which hurrah, and as a result had a good holiday in good company, with good riding. Although boo for the Dutch love affair with red concrete as a road surface.
    ianmac62 and redfalo like this.
  4. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

South coast, UK
    I don't know, @srw, you often seemed to be flying about, much quicker than me a lot of the time. Maybe you should let up a wee bit?
    Adrian and wanda2010 like this.
  5. kimble

kimble Über Member

I find that eating in any quantity rarely goes well with cycling, and that's doubly bad when it's hot. Little and often is the order of the day, which is something I've learned through experience. What I did get wrong was drinking too much in one go when the thirst kicked in on the first day, with inevitable digestive consequences.

As for the achilles thing - not a clue. I'm going to chalk it up to bad luck, perhaps related to heat, or to so much group riding on the flat (I've done prolonged tours before, but solo or in groups of disparate speed where I've ridden at my own pace and regrouped at the top of each climb), or perhaps due to insufficiently worn-in shoes. I'm taking things easy and avoiding walking/cycling/crouching/etc for a few days and seeing how it goes.

While the various surfaces encountered on this tour have certainly explained a thing or two about the design decisions that went into my sturdy German touring bicycle, I remain intrigued as to what those setts are like when you're riding a Dutch bike with traditional semi-flat tyres, and indeed why the diagonal pattern is quite so much worse vibration-wise than the square ones.
    Gordon P and theclaud like this.
  6. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

It's an illusion. Given the amount of kinetic energy* I generate (probably double yours, at least) it's more tiring getting up to speed than maintaining a speed. And I finding going more slowly than I want to very tiring indeed, because I'm less stable.

*no doubt the wrong physical quantity, and a scientist will put me right.
  7. Adrian

Mass times speed = momentum
    Mass times speed squared = kinetic energy
  8. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guru

Half mass times speed squared, Shirley?
    mmmmartin likes this.
  9. kimble

kimble Über Member

Now I have a proper computer:

Shower off to the right...
    TinyMyNewt and Gordon P like this.
  10. Adrian

I was wondering who................
    srw likes this.
  11. Adrian

you could almost dispense with the tent
    Gordon P, theclaud and kimble like this.
  12. kimble

kimble Über Member

Given the presence of the heater (which came in quite handy for drying our stuff), that thought did occur to me...

(At the Venlo campsite, with better light, en-suite midges and a better class of static caravan.)
    Last edited: 19 Sep 2016
    Gordon P and ianmac62 like this.
  13. ianmac62

ianmac62 Über Member

Terrific tour; many thanks to @redfalo and @Gordon P!

Some photos are here at Vi(v)a Colonia; also at Aachen Cathedral; and Sabine took plenty of photos while she was with us. (The links point to albums on Flickr.) The photos she sent include the light display on the façade of the Rathaus (she went back one evening later in the week) and of Parking Day in Aachen on the Saturday (car park spaces are taken over and transformed into gardens). I've learned that Aachen has a Green Party mayor.

You may remember the new bridge (the High Bridge) in Maastricht immediately after coffee. It was signed in two languages:

The upper part of the sign is in Dutch; the lower part is in Limburgish and, in particular, the Mastrichtian dialect. Limburgish is spoken by about two million people across the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany; it's one of the Netherlands' three minority languages; and it comes in many dialect forms, each unique to a particular town or village.

Further interweb research into my beer glass at lunch in Roeselare

revealed that Rodenbach is the local brewery in Roeselare; that the cyclist is Jean-Pierre Monseré who was born in the town; and that the glass commemorates the 40th anniversary of his victory at the World Road Championships in 1970 (held at Mallory Park in Leicestershire). He died in 1971 in a collision with a support car during a race in Belgium while still the reigning world champion.
    Last edited: 20 Sep 2016
  14. Adrian

Thank you
    mmmmartin and ianmac62 like this.
  15. dellzeqq

dellzeqq pre-talced and mighty

those of you with an interest in the ecclesiastical will relish this...