Hollox Axle Front Hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apart from spoiling the look of the bike (replacing a silver spoked/rimmed with a black one) is there a problem replacing a front solid axle wheel with a wheel with a hollow axle and QR. The reason I'm asking is I put the bike in the car a lot (living out of b&b's) and its a hassle to remove the front nuts; but should I put up with it?

HovR

Über Member
Apart from spoiling the look of the bike (replacing a silver spoked/rimmed with a black one) is there a problem replacing a front solid axle wheel with a wheel with a hollow axle and QR. The reason I'm asking is I put the bike in the car a lot (living out of b&b's) and its a hassle to remove the front nuts; but should I put up with it?

Nope, a front wheel should be fine. There's some debate as to whether QR's hold a rear wheel in horizontal dropouts securely enough, but in mine and many other's experience they also do that fine.

Also, if you don't want to ruin the aesthetics of the bike, it should be possible to transfer just the QR axle to the original wheel, so you don't have to have a change in wheel colours.

simon.r

Person
You may want to check if your fork has 'lawyer lips', especially if it's an older fork. There's nothing to stop you using a QR without them, but arguably there's an increased risk in doing so.

The only other disadvantage is that it's easier for thieving scumbags or idiots to remove a QR front wheel, which may or may not be relevant to you.

HovR

Über Member
You may want to check if your fork has 'lawyer lips', especially if it's an older fork. There's nothing to stop you using a QR without them, but arguably there's an increased risk in doing so.

The forks on my Dawes doesn't, and I've never had an issue with the wheel falling off. As the article says:

They were introduced in response to lawsuits supported by experts including John Forester, in cases where incorrectly adjusted quick release wheels came out of the forks. Lawyer tabs are designed to compensate for the fact that many riders do not know how to operate a quick release properly.

Do your quick release up properly, nice and tight, and not against a fork which may limit the full closing action of the QR, and it'll be fine.

Although thanks for posting that link, simon. I always wondered why I didn't have to un-wind my QR after flipping the cam to release it from the front fork - Now I know!

simon.r

Person
Do your quick release up properly, nice and tight, and not against a fork which may limit the full closing action of the QR, and it'll be fine.

Although thanks for posting that link, simon. I always wondered why I didn't have to un-wind my QR after flipping the cam to release it from the front fork - Now I know!

I agree, I trust myself to do a QR up correctly:smile:

Although having said that, I'd be wary of using a disc brake with a fork without lawyer lips. This page goes into great detail:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/disk_and_quick_release/

I remember a few years ago that this was a hot topic on MTB forums and there were good arguments put forward on both sides - I'm not qualified to offer a proper opinion.http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/disk_and_quick_release/

Top Bottom