Holme Moss - happy now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Well done.

I went up HM in the morning before the British round of the world cup went up. The Wincanton Classic?

Picture011.jpg

It's the view that makes it worthwhile.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Philk said:
Very well done, Im envious , you chaps who get up hills relatively easily are my heros.:biggrin:

May be in a couple of years ill be there but atm ill just look up to u lot B)
Ride up Barkers Butts Lane flat out about 20 times a day - that'll give your climbing a boost! ;)

I used to have to dismount riding my 5-speed racing bike up that on the way home from school, but 40 years on I can get up it easily on my singlespeed bike.

ColinJ

jamesxyz said:
There's another one from Stocksbridge too...
There are chevrons all over the map round there! Ewden Bank is a tough bugger out that way. The first time I tried it, I not only had to walk, I had to take my shoes off to do it (when I was still using the Look system)!

Jimbo - that picture wasn't taken near Holme Moss - there aren't any flat bits round there! The Wincanton Classic moved a few times - was that picture taken when it took place round the Brighton area?

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
ColinJ said:
There are chevrons all over the map round there! Ewden Bank is a tough bugger out that way. The first time I tried it, I not only had to walk, I had to take my shoes off to do it (when I was still using the Look system)!

Jimbo - that picture wasn't taken near Holme Moss - there aren't any flat bits round there! The Wincanton Classic moved a few times - was that picture taken when it took place round the Brighton area?

Not as many chevrons as over your way. Mind there's bugger all flat! It does you good!

jimboalee

ColinJ said:

That piccie was taken from the Wych Gap at the top of the Malverns.

At the foot of the hill is Malvern Link, which is the turn point on one of my 100km DIY Audax routes. Malvern Link is at 50m above sea level. Wych Gap is at 300m above sea level.
Its 3.0 km from bottom to top with a good stretch of flat through Great Malvern.
Straight up AFTER a 50km ride from home.

Through the gap and down a little is 'The Kettle Sings' cafe where Worcester St Johns CC are permanently present.

The bike was my Spesh with a 39 small ring and 12-25. As I recall, I used the 23 sprocket on the steep bits. I hate going into the basement...:thumbsup:

jamesxyz

Chrisc said:
I came down that last week. Used to live in Hepworth so know those hills very well. Have gone from Holmfirth to Had Edge, that's long and nasty.
Mind, the climb home from New Mill to the Sovereign is no walk in the park either!
Will have to get that book tomorrow and I'll try that climb at the weekend.

Yep, I got the bike late march and nip up around the windmills a lot
Just doing laps cos it'd the flattest bit around here! Will look out for you on the rounds.

Will look out for you too - the climb is worth it for the tank , Soviet T-34 if I'm not mistaken

jamesxyz

Top of the jackson Bridge climb - difficult to explain. From the white pub at the crossroads (can't remember it's name but it's at the top of the hill that goes down past Crag rats Brasserie) After that steep little kick with the hairpin left right combo follow the road down past the caravan in the field (on your right) through the left hander (90 degrees) and take the next left - looks like it goes nowhere - the road then forks. The left fork takes you down the climb, the right goes to a track eventually (that's where I took the pic), you'll see the tank whichever way you go.

Does that make sense? If I see you out, I'll point you in the right direction or take you past it.;)

ColinJ

jimboalee said:
That piccie was taken from the Wych Gap at the top of the Malverns.

At the foot of the hill is Malvern Link, which is the turn point on one of my 100km DIY Audax routes. Malvern Link is at 50m above sea level. Wych Gap is at 300m above sea level.

Its 3.0 km from bottom to top with a good stretch of flat through Great Malvern.
Straight up AFTER a 50km ride from home.
Ah!

I want to do a ride down to the Malverns from Coventry some time but I think it's a bit far and hilly to do on the singlespeed bike that I keep there so I'll take my geared bike down for the ride. Maybe I'll propose it as a CC forum ride and start it from the cyclists' memorial at Meriden?

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
I know where the tank is now. That pub is the Victoria and the tank is up on Scar Hole Lane. I used to ride the other unmade track up Cheesegate Nab on my enduro bike, actually just as tiring as riding a push bike up. Especially when you misjudge the bend, ride fully into the hedge and spend half an hour trying to drag the motorbike out of there...:smile:
The main climb is up Tenter Hill, really nasty, even in a car!!
Think I'd have made it how I felt yesterday but not today! Need a few days to recover I think!

jimboalee

ColinJ said:
Ah!

I want to do a ride down to the Malverns from Coventry some time but I think it's a bit far and hilly to do on the singlespeed bike that I keep there so I'll take my geared bike down for the ride. Maybe I'll propose it as a CC forum ride and start it from the cyclists' memorial at Meriden?

140km round.

If you do organise this ride, I'll join the group as the ride past the Norman Green Sports Centre ( B4012 ) after getting my Start proof in S'hull.

The decreased distance will be 60km each way for me to use it as a DIY 100.
Midway proof will be at a 'Farm shop' just by Martin Hussingtree on the A38.
Turn proof will be at The Kettle Sings.

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Well done - your next mission, should you decide to accept it, is to try the climb from Jackson Bridge near New Mill. about 150m in about 1.1km i.e. average 12% but some bit well in excess of 20%!

Did it today, bl**dy hell it was hard in the heat! Had to stop at the bench to take off my helmet and glasses. Couldn't see out for the torrent of sweat pouring out of me! Now to work on getting up in under 5 minutes....ha!

jamesxyz

Well done - your next mission, should you decide to accept it, is to try the climb from Jackson Bridge near New Mill. about 150m in about 1.1km i.e. average 12% but some bit well in excess of 20%!

Did it today, bl**dy hell it was hard in the heat! Had to stop at the bench to take off my helmet and glasses. Couldn't see out for the torrent of sweat pouring out of me! Now to work on getting up in under 5 minutes....ha!

I did it in 8:53 but would like to get sub 8mins

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru

I did it in 8:53 but would like to get sub 8mins

I didn't clock it at all but I think it was sub 20....:smile: plus 10 trying to learn to breathe again at the top.

Top Bottom